Should bin Laden have been captured and tried? (Reuters)

-snip-
As a consequences of Osama being killed and then almost immediately being buried, justice has been served. It was proportional (an eye for an eye), it was immediate (a bullet to the head), and there is no body for Al Qaeda to use for a martyr's memorial or a martyr's grave site (he was prepared for burial and then buried at sea).

Bottom line ... justice was served -snip-
Here is where I severely disagreee, "justice" was *not* served, in fact an assasination of an unarmed non combattant commited. Justice in my book requires someone to evaluate the case and give a sentence, normally that would be done through trial and a judge.

Hundreds of years of struggeling and hundreds of thousands of lives have been necessary to finally firmly establish this sacred thing, justice.

However we may value the outcome of this raid positively, the fact that justice had nothing to do with it makes it hard to keep the moral superiority that we so often claim in the war against the terrorists.

Bad mistake from my POV.

Rattler

Last edited:
Sorry Rattler ... BUT ...

JUSTICE WAS SERVED.

To put it bluntly, an eye for an eye has been carried out ... AND, that is about the best thing that could have been expected (considering the three-ring carnaval that would have existed with a trial). As far as a judge, jury and executioner ... a bullet fired to protect oneself, fulfills every single requirement for justice to have been administered.

ALSO - there is not one single instance when a defacto proven case of self defense, has NOT been considered lawful, by a democratically based law system.

Sorry Rattler ... BUT ...

JUSTICE WAS SERVED.

To put it bluntly, an eye for an eye has been carried out ... AND, that is about the best thing that could have been expected (considering the three-ring carnaval that would have existed with a trial). As far as a judge, jury and executioner ... a bullet fired to protect oneself, fulfills every single requirement for justice to have been administered.

ALSO - there is not one single instance when a defacto proven case of self defense, has NOT been considered lawful, by a democratically based law system.

Oh come on Justice had nothing to do with it, this was revenge and little else now I am not saying it was a bad thing but at least we should be honest about it rather than attempting to justify it through legal terms.

A 20 year trial which outlasts the defendant isn't really justice either.
If putting a bullet in his face isn't justice, it's closer to it than the former.

Oh come on Justice had nothing to do with it, this was revenge and little else now I am not saying it was a bad thing but at least we should be honest about it rather than attempting to justify it through legal terms.

Whether you label this action as revenge or not, justice HAS been carried out.

The architect of 9/11 is dead. P E R I O D !

I think the sticking point here is the definition of justice. To those of us that have actively fought his war, the conflict that he started and left as his legacy, who have buried our friends and bandaged our wounds, justice simply meens that he is gone. By the legal sense, justice was not served, by a moral sense he got what he deserved (and more in my opinion). I am not a lawyer and could really care less how they interperet these events. He brought his reality into our world, and we have returned the favour. That is JUSTICE.

As a far smarter man than me said, "We can be true to our morals, or we can fix the problem. We can not do both." So let us get off of our high horses, forget the "Politically Correct" nausium and celibrate a fine moment in the history of a free world. May all who wish death on infants for no other reason than hate meet the same fate.

I think the sticking point here is the definition of justice. To those of us that have actively fought his war, the conflict that he started and left as his legacy, who have buried our friends and bandaged our wounds, justice simply meens that he is gone. By the legal sense, justice was not served, by a moral sense he got what he deserved (and more in my opinion). I am not a lawyer and could really care less how they interperet these events. He brought his reality into our world, and we have returned the favour. That is JUSTICE.

As a far smarter man than me said, "We can be true to our morals, or we can fix the problem. We can not do both." So let us get off of our high horses, forget the "Politically Correct" nausium and celibrate a fine moment in the history of a free world. May all who wish death on infants for no other reason than hate meet the same fate.

I disagree we know the definition of justice there is nothing to be stuck on, I sincerely doubt that too many justice systems allow for shooting someone before they are sent to trial.

As I have said it was revenge for 9/11 and the embarrassment of the 11 years it took to find a guy living in a mansion outside an allies capital city, did he deserve what he got, yes he did but lets not paint a turd and call them roses to assuage our own egos.

IMHO it was in fact the closest to real justice available - the alternatives do not get close by a furlong. It was the best result that could be bestowed upon Justice by whoever undertook the responsibility of pulling the trigger and sending a deliberately ruthless, self-confessed killer into oblivion .

And offering his body up to the rolling deep was an honour, not revenge; respect he did not deserve. A clean fast exit - mission accomplished.

And offering his body up to the rolling deep was an honour, not revenge; respect he did not deserve. .

Agree 122% there, far too many good men (and women) ended up in Davy Jones locker, so actually it's a shame that we polute the ocean with the remains of Osama bin Laden.

Just when you thought the guy was dead and floating we get this idiot...

EXCLUSIVE: Fallbrook Man Set To Find Bin Laden's Underwater Grave
Reported by: Antonio Castelan
Email: antonio.castelan@sandiego6.com
Last Update: 6/12 5:37 pm

SAN DIEGO - A Fallbrook man set to retrieve Osama Bin Laden's remains from an underwater grave speaks out about his endeavor. 67-year old Bill Warren is confident in his groups quest and gaining national attention in the process.
Bill Warren said, "I am mainly doing it to prove a point to see if he is really dead."

Warren wants to find Osama Bin Laden's body. After Navy Seals killed Bin Laden his body was lowered off the U.S.S. Carl Vinson into the North Arabian sea.

Warren said, "We have an approximate location the depth of water."

The Fallbrook man claims he has a good idea on where Bin Laden's body is located. Warren says his 180-foot boat is waitng in Western India. Warren says he has high-tech equipment able to pick out just about anything underwater.

Warren said, "It's what they found the Titanic with - - it's side scan sonar - - and it's very high tech."

You would think finding a body in the open ocean would be difficult. There's also the thought Bin Laden's body would be decomposed beyond recognition.

Warren said, "The fish can't get at it. It's in a sealed Navy burial bag. Zipped up. White canvass rubber lined inside - - 200-pounds of weights."

Warren has plans already if he finds Bin Laden's corpse.

Warren said, "We would photograph, videotape, and do a DNA test, and then try to figure out what we are going to do with his body after that."

Such an expediton requries hundreds of thousands of dollars. Warren says he has investors in Chicago, Scotland, and New York.

Warren plans on making his trek to the North Arabian Sea in about a month. He says after he finds Bin Laden it is possible he'll sell his corpse to the highest bidder.

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local...o-Find-Bin-Ladens/7KQXPHMqsk2mj7Q3ljlAuw.cspx

Wouldn't you know....just what we needed, some crazy fool with the intetion of finding Osama bin Laden and sell his remains as souvernirs...
Sancta Simplicitas!

I wish him the best of British Luck,... I hope it sends the silly b@stard broke.

In warmer waters, bodies don't last very long. Everything from sharks and crabs to sea lice reduce it to scattered bones very quickly.

Back