Shooting Organization- Training Tools

deerslayer

Milforum Swamp Dweller
I've got a double date coming up this week, buddy and I are taking his girlfriend and her friend shooting, but they don't know it yet. I'll be letting the girls use my 10/22, there's no recoil, it's simple, and a good gun to learn on. I'm also a big believer that "you've mastered or learned a concept when you can teach it effectively to someone else", so I'm taking this advantage to make sure my own fundamentals and ideas are solid and correct, kind of a mental preparation for a physical sport.

In keeping with the mental preparation aspect, I'm looking for good books on range, practical, target, or combat shooting. I'm looking specifically for a .pdf version of the "Modern Technique of the Pistol", but if any of you have any good books on firearms handling that deserve a place on my bookshelf, right next to the horse anatomy textbook, list them here.

Thanks in advance.

Are you going to teach rifle and pistol shooting or just rifle?

There are a couple of good books out there but they're old. Like between seventy to forty years old. One good book in my opinion is titled "Training the GUNFIGHTER by Capt. Timothy J Mullin". Written back in the early 80s. Great book on the tactics of police shooting from then. It's a little outdated in the firearms mentioned (Ruger Mini-14, S&W Model 66, etc..) but the tactics are all top notch. It goes from how to start training people to advanced combat shooting.

Another book is titled "The Art of the Rifle by Col. Jeff Cooper". Great book on rifles.

Also some of the works by Elmer Keith are great for shooting. They're based on Revolvers but the idea is the same.

Also look up the US Army and USMC Field Manuals for basic shooting. They're also great training aids. Also they're free.

I'm not a certified, designated trainer by any stretch. I'm looking for materials that I can use to introduce people to shooting, to train myself, and help to diagnose my problems and others' problems. I'm letting these two girls learn how to shoot my 10/22 because a buddy and I thought it would be a cool double date, though I'm not really involved with either girl and have no intention. I just want to further my own education through teaching the three of them, and get some range time.

But it got me thinking, and now that i'm talking to more and more people about practical shooting at LSU and such, I should start getting together training aids for myself and other shooters, for everyone's benefit and use.

Cooper has some great points, and I just finished a Stephen Hunter novel in which Keith's first name and likeness, as well as five other famous pistol shots, have themselves a little firefight in Mississippi. Keith claimed to have made a 500 yard pistol shot on an elk- it's out of my realm of imagination.

Luis, you've been the only person over four forums to give me any reading material. Thank you so much.

Any other suggestions?

There are a couple of other works out there but I can't remember the names or authors.

EDIT:

I just remembered another old but classic book. Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting by Ed McGivern.

Also look into the works by Massad Ayoob.

Last edited:
Check out Pale Horse Coming, the second in one of Stephen Hunter's series- see if you can spot the cameos by Charles Henderson, Carlos Hathcock, Ed McGivern, Elmer Keith, and other shooters. I highly recommend it.

Going to pick up a few books from the library on shooting, if they stock any, and photocopy anything that jumps out at me.

Back