Shooter vs. Marine Sniper/ Silent Warrior

LCPLSMITH

Shooter is one of the best books on modern military tactics I've read. Its the autobiography of the top rated Marine Sniper in Operation Iraqi Freedom, Gunnery Sergeant Jack Coughlin; however, Marine Sniper and Silent Warrior are outstanding books as well. Marine Sniper is the biography of the Marine Corps first real sniper, Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock, whom had 91 confirmed kills in the Vietnam conflict. He had no formal sniper training. His exploits helped create the first Marine Sniper school. Silent Warrior is the sequel to Marine Sniper. Its basically the same as the first book, but it goes into a lot more detail. Im not sure which I like more, but theyre all three worth reading! I know that at the Marine Sniper school, GSGT Coughlin was required to read Marine Sniper and Silent Warrior.

I'm more inclined to point to Henderson's works as the better written and more respectable works; To my knowledge, either the author of "Shooter" or "Downrange", or both, was found to have material in their books which were unsubstantiated or blatantly incorrect.

Gunny Hathcock and Henderson put more truth into their books than some others you have mentioned, know what I mean.

Back