Is It a Ship? Is It a Boat?

AJChenMPH

Forum Health Inspector
AS A SMALL CHILD, I remember my father, a Navy officer, taking our family to the piers. "Look at all the pretty boats, Daddy!" I exclaimed.

"Ships, Tara," he corrected me. "These are ships, not boats!" Through the years, I'd tease my father with the same comment, and he'd always reply, "Ships, Tara, ships!"

Eventually, I married a new ensign who faced a year of training before he was assigned to a fast-attached submarine. One day, when he strolled up our front walk with a grin, I knew he had received his first orders. "So to what ship are you assigned?" I asked.

His smile turned quickly into a frown. "Boat, Tara!" he said. "Submarines are boats!"

--Contributed to "Humor In Uniform" by Tara Lampman Boulden

Provided Courtesy of Reader's Digest.

AS A SMALL CHILD, I remember my father, a Navy officer, taking our family to the piers. "Look at all the pretty boats, Daddy!" I exclaimed.

"Ships, Tara," he corrected me. "These are ships, not boats!" Through the years, I'd tease my father with the same comment, and he'd always reply, "Ships, Tara, ships!"

Eventually, I married a new ensign who faced a year of training before he was assigned to a fast-attached submarine. One day, when he strolled up our front walk with a grin, I knew he had received his first orders. "So to what ship are you assigned?" I asked.

His smile turned quickly into a frown. "Boat, Tara!" he said. "Submarines are boats!"

--Contributed to "Humor In Uniform" by Tara Lampman Boulden

Provided Courtesy of Reader's Digest.

There is a distinction between boats and ships. #1, all submarines are boats (I don't know if Tara knew it or not, but there isn't a fast-attached submarine, they are Fast Attack)

#2, anything smaller than x feet are considered boats. I don't remember what that length is. Remember there are "Riverboats", "Swiftboats" and "Tugboats". Somewhere in the water is a line, shorter is a boat, larger is a ship.

That's great, AJ! And thanks for explaining the difference between boat and ship, Senior Chief! :)

Yup, you're right, Senior Chief. I was taught difference of the boat and ship by Navy JROTC.

AJ, good one.

Back