Sheriff to Start Posse Patrols to Curb Illegal Immigration Flow

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
(CBS 5 NEWS) - Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio announced that approximately 100 volunteer posse and Sheriff's Deputies will soon begin randomly patrolling the desert areas and main roadways in southwest Maricopa County as a part of an operation to curb the flow of illegal immigrants entering the county.

Arpaio made the announced just as 11 more illegal immigrants were being booked in jail after a Ford Windstar with California plates and 16 people packed inside was stopped by a Sheriff's deputy early Tuesday morning on a traffic violation near Gila Bend.

Despite the growing controversy about illegal aliens nationwide, the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office remains the only Arizona law enforcement agency willing to enforce a new state anti-smuggling law.

"There are so many illegals trying to make it into the county that it's overwhelming my deputies, so I have called on members of my 3000 member volunteer posse to assist," says Sheriff Arpaio. "It's not only illegals we find and arrest out there, we've also made some recent huge drug seizures involving illegal aliens including nearly 100 pounds of methamphetamine and approximately three pounds of heroin." http://www.kpho.com/Global/story.asp...ss=1#poll53555
I am glad to see another person upholding his oath. Hell, at least someone if a government office is doign his job right on this issue. I've always liked his style of law enforcement. He does it strict, hard, and right.
015.gif

I have to say I have to agree with Sheriff Arpaio. If it is the law, you should uphold the law. A law should be, simple, clear, non-negotianable, open to one interpertation only and upholdable.
This man follow the lettre of the law and that is what you expect. Don't make a law you can't maintain and untill it is different, Arpaio should continu his job the way he does!

Good for him! We should have more public officials willing to uphold the laws instead of worrying about covering their @sses.

What I like about his no-nonsense approach to law enfoecement is the way he treats prisoners ... no fancy jail facility, no priviledges, baloney sandwiches for a lunch ... and so on. His usage of chain gangs and the strange colored uniforms he makes prisoners (men & women), wear has done more to reduce recidivism than any other program I have heard about.

I loved his public statemnt when he was talking about illegals ... "I catch them and send their d*mn*sses home - end of discussion".

Great job, we need more guys that are less concerned with the politics of their jobs and more concerned with the jobs themselves. :thumb:

Now, if only we can get the politicians to come out from beneath their moss covered rocks on this.

I'd like to know if Maricopa County is in a compact with ICE or not and has been designated and authorized to "arrest" illegals. If their not it's just more political gum bumping on an elected officals part and his "posse" is nothing more than another group of local LEO's (provided that they are duly sworn) or "Minute Men" (if they are not).

Local and state LEA's cannot enforce USIC's on their own. They have to have the Authorization and consent of a ICE special agent to detain for investigation and the authorization of ICE Detention and Removal for Deportation.

If Sheriff Joe is actually working with ICE and USBP fine, if not he's hooking people on State Violations and not on Immigration violations so really he's not effecting Illegal immigration if this is case, just his local crime rate.

But then he does like to grandstand.

Who the hell cares what law (or) statute he is enforcing ... as long as illegals are arrested and returned to their own country, does it really matter the number (or) title of the law???

He is one of the first law enforcement officials in the United States who has not only taken a stand on this issue, he actually is doing something about it. Too bad there aren't more officials like him ... the issue of illegal aliens could be resolved relatively quickly ... (also arresting CEO or company owners who hire illegals would go a long way to removing the reason for Mexicans illegally crossing the border).

It's a good thing the border is being better watched now, but why couldn't this have been done a decade ago? I wish we got or shit together then rather than letting millions in over time.

I'm an immigrant too, from Iran. I have no problem with people wanting to come to this country so long as it is done legally and with minimal problems. The Mexican government needs to do its part in order to stop their own citizens from becoming a problem here, it's just common sense.

WarMachine said:
It's a good thing the border is being better watched now, but why couldn't this have been done a decade ago? I wish we got or shit together then rather than letting millions in over time.

I'm an immigrant too, from Iran. I have no problem with people wanting to come to this country so long as it is done legally and with minimal problems. The Mexican government needs to do its part in order to stop their own citizens from becoming a problem here, it's just common sense.
What do you mean ................ the Mexican government is PART of the problem, they will NOT do anything to even slow the nightly parade/attack across our border.

They're part of the problem since we're treating this problem like we need extra park rangers or something when the military needs to get in and supplement the patrols. Sure the mexican government isn't seeing this the same way we do, but they also know that they're relatively poor compared to us and that's how it's always been. So maybe it has to do with trying to get some of the wealth they can't build for themselves, but they are probably doing something to slow migration in the way of economic reforms and such.

WarMachine said:
They're part of the problem since we're treating this problem like we need extra park rangers or something when the military needs to get in and supplement the patrols. Sure the mexican government isn't seeing this the same way we do, but they also know that they're relatively poor compared to us and that's how it's always been. So maybe it has to do with trying to get some of the wealth they can't build for themselves, but they are probably doing something to slow migration in the way of economic reforms and such.
I agree that the military needs to be involved - that will mean passing legislation temporarily setting aside the posse comitatus law so that the military can act as a law enforcement adjunct.

As far as Mexican Government trying to slow migration ... bull ... Mexico has two different sets of immigration law within their own border ... one set of rules for Mexican Nationals and one set for everybody else. Even if you become a "naturalized" Mexican citizen, you can still be treated as an illegal alien because of the way their immigration laws are slanted.

Let's face it, there have been instances of police and military being present when "coyotes" with their band of border runners set off for the evening rush hour across an isolated section of our border.

So just how the h*ll has Mexican authorities done anything to address this issue? I'd really like to know...............

Well all those border towns sprung up to serve as labor for US goods to be exported, there you have a large population skimming the american border. With that sort of infrastructure it would be relatively easy to get in, economics has a way of screwing you over once in a while. The mexican govt probably doesn't like the idea of forcing their people to stay inside their borders since that would get many of their politician criticism.

Once we make some sort of deal with them however, i think they'll start enforcing their border better, we can't just force them.

WarMachine said:
Well all those border towns sprung up to serve as labor for US goods to be exported, there you have a large population skimming the american border. With that sort of infrastructure it would be relatively easy to get in, economics has a way of screwing you over once in a while. The mexican govt probably doesn't like the idea of forcing their people to stay inside their borders since that would get many of their politician criticism.

Once we make some sort of deal with them however, i think they'll start enforcing their border better, we can't just force them.

Since when does a country have to apologise for enforcing access to their country? This is what you are really talking about ... a statement of purpose needs to be conveyed to El Predidente Fox that states if he and his government forces don't start imposing a little control over their side of the border, that there will be consequences.

I am not in favor of another "Iron Curtain" ... a wall built end-to-end along the Mexican/American border with all of the built-in electronics and other detection systems "may" be a necessity IF we are really interested in protecting our country from possible terrorist incursions. An added benefit would be tighter control of illegals entering this country from Mexico.

Chief Bones said:
Who the hell cares what law (or) statute he is enforcing ... as long as illegals are arrested and returned to their own country, does it really matter the number (or) title of the law???

He is one of the first law enforcement officials in the United States who has not only taken a stand on this issue, he actually is doing something about it. Too bad there aren't more officials like him ... the issue of illegal aliens could be resolved relatively quickly ... (also arresting CEO or company owners who hire illegals would go a long way to removing the reason for Mexicans illegally crossing the border).

Actually I care. For a couple of reasons.
1. The high sheriff of Maricopa County is a windbag PR motivated politician of the 1st degree. I trust nothing that comes out of his mouth about any of his "cutting edge tough on crime." programs. He'd come out against Jelly bean theft and launch a task force if it got his mug on TV and in the print media.

(Incidently he's not the first Lee Baca has been trying to do the same thing in LA for a couple of years and getting little support from ICE plus being hamstrung by his County Gov.)

2. Understand this. I can arrest an illegal on misd. charges follow him thru the court system, get a conviction and in the end ICE won't detain him because it's not a felony. So who eats the bill? The local taxpayers. So without the cooperation of ICE no Posse will get much done. Combine that with the fact that since the creation of DHS immigration has been short changed on the money required to apprehend, detain and deport illegals, and yet their responsibilties have nearly doubled and they are still the only agency enforcing USIC and are the only agency legally enpowered to do so.

So Windbag Joe can blow with his "I catch em and send back." He might be lucky enough to get detainers .......But he don't send em no damn where.

Back