Sheikh Khalid bin Mahfouz

Partisan

I was reading an old edition of Private Eye, talking about the death of the above named estimable character and a thought struck me. We hear so much about terrorist groups, sometimes their leaders are elevated to almost pop star status, but our news organisations don't appear to do much investigation on the terrorist group backers.

They quote "the drug trade" and "people trafficking" but don't appear to take it any further - why is that? Do they believe we cannot understand complex inter relationships, are they just lazy or worse?

To follow on I would like to know which sources of news you consider reliable - I try to perm 3 out of 4 on a regular basis, but I won't bias your comments.

I don't think having a name on top wanted is pop star status but investigating businesses behind drug and human trafficking would leave one open to the possibility of endangering themself or their family, don't you think? not sure a investigative reporter would want to do that unless they have nothing to lose?

GG I agree it is a risky trade - but that is their chosen profession isn't it? I always hear how journalists are there to provid einfo that the public can't find itself, there is a long and noble history of reporting from the front and breaking difficult stories, so I don't think that is the issue. I think it has more to do with where reporters are steered, who pays their cheques and who is really in bed with whom - too much of the old boy network in the halls of power.

Back