The "Sharpe's" Series by Bernard Cornwall

AussieNick

Forum Digger
Has anybody read the series. 19 books in total.
They follow the exploits of a fictitious Lt. in the British army during the Napoleonic wars. I find them to be very entertaining. They are light reading at best, but they are a real eye opener to the way the Red Coats fought, and just how much bravery, chivalry and discipline was involved. I highly recommend reading them.

For reference some of the titles include:
"Sharpe's Havoc"
"Sharpe's Escape"
"Sharpe's Eagle"
"Sharpe's Rifles"
etc, etc, etc

I read the first few. Great stories. Of course I got interested in them after seeing the movies made with Sean Bean starring as Sharpe. All made for TV movies I think. They did a dozen or more of the books. It was on during the 1990s.

AussieNick said:
Has anybody read the series. 19 books in total.
They follow the exploits of a fictitious Lt. in the British army during the Napoleonic wars. I find them to be very entertaining. They are light reading at best, but they are a real eye opener to the way the Red Coats fought, and just how much bravery, chivalry and discipline was involved. I highly recommend reading them.

For reference some of the titles include:
"Sharpe's Havoc"
"Sharpe's Escape"
"Sharpe's Eagle"
"Sharpe's Rifles"
etc, etc, etc

You may want to check the local TV listings the "Sharpe" series of movies are currently being shown here on the UKTV channel on Thursdays early evening.

I ahve all the books, from the origional releases back in the early 80's to the new cover versions.
Even have all the videos that were released in OZ. Unfortunatley we only got 5 episodes here.
Great storys and hope he keeps Sharpe and Harper marching on.

sharpes rifles

there is also a narrative history book of the 95th rifles whichs is very good and recommended by Bernard cornwell.
it is called "rifles" by Mark urban published by faber and faber. a very good read for any one interested in the rifles. and blends good storytelling/writing with factual accounts from men the served with the rifles from 1809 to after waterloo.

0571216811.jpg

Hey i got this about 2 weeks ago and i`m about a quarter of the way through, it explains the thinking behind the forming of the rifle and light infantry regiments, and also their tactics.

BTW Mark Urban is a political reporter for BBC news and has also written these

0571168094.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

0571205380.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Back