Shark circling New Zealand

Del Boy

Builder takes dip in sea and snaps close-up of great white shark

By CLAIRE BATES - Last updated at 12:10pm on 8th January 2008
Emerging from the gloom, this shark is the last thing you would hope to see on a diving expedition.

But one foolhardy New Zealander asked his three friends to dangle him head first in the sea so that he could get this impressive shot.
Builder Gary Porter snapped the great white shark when it was only two metres away from their small boat. Scroll down for more...

eashark_468x451.jpg

"I just wanted to get some photos of this amazing creature," Mr Porter told Radio New Zealand.
"I've got a few regrets about not hopping in with it and having a good swim with it."
Mr Porter was on a diving expedition with three friends near Kapiti Island, near Wellington, when they noticed the shark circling their 6.5 metre boat.
"He'd go around the back of the boat and then circle it, and come right up to the side of the boat. You could touch him if you wanted to," Porter said.
After they decided the shark was showing no obvious signs of aggression Mr Porter dipped his waterproof digital camera in the sea. After he failed to get a good shot he asked his friends to dangle him over the edge, when he took his amazing photo.
"We threw him a fish, but he wasn't really interested in it. He was a pretty docile shark," Mr Porter said. Sharks have poor eyesight

( This one answers to the name of Del Boy, reputedly)

"I just wanted to get some photos of this amazing creature," Mr Porter told Radio New Zealand.

Later, as what was left of Mr. Porter was being transported to the morgue, his friends were heard to say, "We told him not to make those seal noises before we dunked his as... err, head in the water. Such a shame - he was such a young man."

Donations for Mr. Porter's funeral are currently being accepted online at www.Darwinisme.duh.

Reporting for the smart people in the world that don't like their heads in the water with things that eat heads in the water,

AZ_Infantry

:p

Not sure why this is such a big deal, we are an island nation and as such have lots of water and sharks.

In a days fishing it is not unusual to pull up half a dozen of them, you just cut them loose and go back to catching the edible ones.

When we caught them off Gisborne, the locals caught them for eating.

It ain't a big deal, just a great photo.

When we caught them off Gisborne, the locals caught them for eating.

It ain't a big deal, just a great photo.

OK, let's analyze this statement:

1. 6' man

2. 15' shark.

3. We don't breathe and eat under water (although I have been known to when I have a pretty lady in the hot tub).

4. Sharks do.

Given the 4 factors above, minus the hot tub comment, I'll stick with my "irrational" paranoia that me vs. shark won't end up good for me.

"Hey, Ron, dunk my head under the water with this huge ass great white shark circling the boat..."

^^^ This doesn't seem a bit... off to you?

I have to admit I wouldn't be trying to antagonise a white pointer but at the same time I don't think sharks are that much of a threat.

He was on a boat and had friends around to assist not mention that the photo was taken at a range of 2 meters, on the whole while I don't think it was the smartest thing he has ever done it probably wasn't the worst thing either and the upshot is that he now has one of the best photo's of a white pointer I have seen and a great story to tell in pub.

You have to admit it - that's a damn fine looking shark. What a lovely smile on the bugger! Does he know something we don't?

Sharks and I have a very good arrangement. I don't go in their water, they stay out of my shower.

Now THAT is what I am talking about!

Del Boy

Want to know why he's smiling with that "I know something you don't" look? It's because he is 6 feet away from an easy meal. ;)

Even with what I did in the Army, I will still give a 15-foot shark the right of way.

She's a pretty thing, but pretty hurts sometimes, LOL/.

How many shark attacks are there in a year, compare that with the number of sharks and swimmers and you discover that sharks are not quite as dangerous as people like to think.

Certainly that doesn't mean you go around poking them for shits and giggles but there is no reason why you shouldn't take a snap shot of one when given the chance.

PS I am impressed with the quality of the guys camera given the conditions the picture was taken under.

How many shark attacks are there in a year, compare that with the number of sharks and swimmers and you discover that sharks are not quite as dangerous as people like to think.

Certainly that doesn't mean you go around poking them for shits and giggles but there is no reason why you shouldn't take a snap shot of one when given the chance.

PS I am impressed with the quality of the guys camera given the conditions the picture was taken under.

Sharks aren't really dangerous - they are just another creature God gave us on this planet that survives. Shark attacks ARE really rare when you think about it.

HOWEVER,I will remain in fear of anything that has teeth the size of my thumb that eats you from beneath when you can't see the bottom.

Four things are attracted to blood:

1. Combat Medic. This is a good thing.

2. Dracula. Could be a good thing if you really want to live forever.

3. Lawyers. This depends on which side they are on.

4. Sharks. Same thing as lawyers, except even they can stomach a lawyer; but also breathe under water.

My bath tub is as deep into water I wanna go (I don't take baths, so save the comments, LOL)

Sorry, but a shark is one of those things I fear, LOL.

Sharks aren't really dangerous - they are just another creature God gave us on this planet that survives. Shark attacks ARE really rare when you think about it.

HOWEVER,I will remain in fear of anything that has teeth the size of my thumb that eats you from beneath when you can't see the bottom.
Sharks are totally dangerous. They like to bite off people's arms and legs and then stalk them as they swim to shore and then they die of loss of blood on the beach.

That's the thing that scares me the most about sharks (well other than the whole teeth and size thing), coming up from the bottom and me not being able to see them.

I went to FL a few years ago and swam in the ocean for the first time. I was up to my shoulders I looked up twice with a smile as gramma snapped a picture, the rest of the time I was busy making sure there wasn't any 'big, dark, spots' coming in any direction to eat me.

I went to FL a few years ago and swam in the ocean for the first time. I was up to my shoulders I looked up twice with a smile as gramma snapped a picture, the rest of the time I was busy making sure there wasn't any 'big, dark, spots' coming in any direction to eat me.

statistically, most shark attacks happen in shallow, dirty water

I didn't mean to use "dangerous." Don't drink and post, Richard! Heh, sorry, it was a rough day yesterday and I just felt like cutting loose for a bit - some beer and some 80's rock and country washed down with a few shots. Was pleasant while it lasted, at any rate.

Anywho, what I meant to say is that sharks are not necessarily a threat to Humans. Most attacks are cases of mistaken identity.

Still, you'll not catch me in the ocean, thank you very much. Helocasts aside, the ocean is made to fish in, not swim in. I'll stick with playing in traffic. :p

EDIT: And Infern0 is correct that most attacks happen in poor visibility.

Last edited:
Don't ever let anyone tell you sharks are not dangerous. It is a big fat lie. I had a little shark's fin in a restaurant once and I was in hospital for days. It was in NZ and strangely enough, the shark in our picture has one fin missing.

Back