Shame on the University of Washington student counsel

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Another reason I'm glad I go to a halfway decent school.

BRAVE NEW SCHOOLS
Students reject honor to 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' hero
Member of Marines not 'sort of person UW wanted to produce'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: February 14, 2006
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

The University of Washington's student senate rejected a memorial for alumnus Gregory "Pappy" Boyington of "Black Sheep Squadron" fame amid concerns a military hero who shot down enemy planes was not the right kind of person to represent the school.

Student senator Jill Edwards, according to minutes of the student government's meeting last week, said she "didn't believe a member of the Marine Corps was an example of the sort of person UW wanted to produce."

....... further into the story is this great quote:

The blogger wondered, "have our Washington youth revised history so much as this? To compare Boyington – or for that matter any of our WW2 vets – to murderers? What are these kids being taught today? They don't deserve those 20 months Pappy spent being tortured and beaten in a Japanese prison camp ... they don't deserve any of what our grandfathers and grandmothers sacrificed to free Europe and the Pacific."

Read the entire arlicle here:

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/articl...TICLE_ID=48808

I really liked Miller's "rich white men" quip, considering Boyington was part Sioux and grew up dirt poor. Considering she refuses to let the truth get in the way of a good argument, I'm sure she will grow up to be a fine reporter, lawyer, or politician.

Forrest_Gump said:
I really liked Miller's "rich white men" quip, considering Boyington was part Sioux and grew up dirt poor. Considering she refuses to let the truth get in the way of a good argument, I'm sure she will grow up to be a fine reporter, lawyer, or politician.

I think reporter, lawyer, and politician are redundant terms.:)

Not wanting to honor Boyington personally, I can understand. But refusing to honor him simply because he was a Marine who served in WWII strikes me as Revisionist History to me.

Last edited:
"didn't believe a member of the Marine Corps was an example of the sort of person UW wanted to produce."

Wow, just wow. It really amazes me some of these people who call themselves Americans.

Many of our children don't remember or don't know what their parents went through to ensure that they could have the freedom to take their freedoms for granted.

Part of the problem, is that many teachers ARE teaching a revisionist history. What makes it even worse, is the proliferation of revisionist movies etc which have come out of Hollywood in recent years.

How can we expect children of today to understand just how great the sacrifices were that were part of the grand history which made this country great, when that history has NOT been a part of their education.

I really feel sorry for someone who is so uninformed about the world around themselves and just what contributed to that world, that I can't even begin to state how sad I am for them.

Back