Shakira, Who Is Not a US Citizen, Is Fighting the Arizona Immigration Law

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
This article really sums up how I feel about this....:cen:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2503944/posts

Shut up. These are the two words that come to mind I when read things about celebrities and their political views. Normally we hear about saving the whales, or the environment, saving anything really. But today I stumbled across this:
Shakira and Arizona – Immigration Law Fight from Pop Star
Pop star Shakira says she will continue to fight against a controversial Arizona immigration law. The law signed in the state last week by Gov. Jan Brewer makes it a state crime to be in the US illegally. Shakira, who was born in Colombia, told radio host Ryan Seacrest how she would not sit by and accept the law.
“As a Latina I am very concerned about how this law will impact working Hispanic families,” she said. “Being detained in the street just because of the color of your skin is just wrong. It is a violation of your human and civil rights.”
Shakira told Seacrest how she was traveling to Arizona to meet the Mayor of Phoenix and city police chiefs. “I am going to meet the chief of police to see how they are planning on implementing a law like this, despite it being a violation to civil rights.”

Oh that’s right- all of Colombia’s problems are solved! Colombia is a shining beacon of democracy and freedom with a high life expectancy and no major terror groups. Why don’t you worry about getting Colombia up to 1st world standards then you can start to complain about the U.S.

Is she a legal resident? If she is, then I'd say she has grounds to complain. No legal person whether they be a citizen or otherwise here legally should be subject to that horrific law.

If she isn't, well there problems in Columbia (like FARC and drugs) that are much more pressing for her to address.

Except they might actually kill her if she tries too hard.
People just target America because it's CONVENIENT.

Except they might actually kill her if she tries too hard.
People just target America because it's CONVENIENT.

Yes well, that fact shes a coward is a separate subject. I am constantly battling some the communists here in France who are convinced America is the center of all evil. We do have our faults, but we neither a saint nor devil either.

If Shakira is simply a visitor then she has no reason to complain because on a tourist visa she is not required to provide proof of US citizenship or legal residency.

Last edited:
Well she's outraged because of what it means for Latinos as a whole but yeah seriously, things are a lot worse off in the side of the world she comes from so why not champion causes that are closer to home?

Well she's outraged because of what it means for Latinos as a whole but yeah seriously, things are a lot worse off in the side of the world she comes from so why not champion causes that are closer to home?

She will stay in this country and do what she does because it is MUCH better for her here in the states. Still the land of opportunity I guess. If she is not, see mmarsh's comments below. However I would amend them to say if she is a U.S. citizen instead of legal resident. My 2 cents.

Well, as a legal resident she would be working and paying taxes within the US so she would deserve *some* voice.
After all, many permanent residents have served and fought in the US military throughout its history.

Well, as a legal resident she would be working and paying taxes within the US so she would deserve *some* voice.
After all, many permanent residents have served and fought in the US military throughout its history.

I will concede the point to you. As long as she is working and paying taxes she is entitled to give her input.

What I really hate is that everyone who is against this is calling it racism.
Either you are here legally and have nothing to worry about, or you are here illegally and should run and hide. BTW, police cannot stop random people on the street and ask for proof of citizenship. Police don;t have the time to do that anyway. Police will determine citizenship when they have PC (probable cause) to question someone. They were doing something suspicious enough for
1. the police to notice and
2. the police to suspect that a crime has been comitted.

well you need to see in the interview on CNN.com where she said that she could easily be rolled up and deported. She just needs to stick to what she is good at.... umm.... and it is not being a political activist.

well you need to see in the interview on CNN.com where she said that she could easily be rolled up and deported. She just needs to stick to what she is good at.... umm.... and it is not being a political activist.

LOL. That is a diplomatic way of saying that.

Well, Isabel Mebarak Ripoll (that is her true name) actually lives in Spain, her "nation of choice" (Columbians have a birth right of becoming Spanish Citizens after living here more than 7 years).

She is encourged to say what she thinks here and is - like the thousands of Columbians and Eqadorians that serve in the Spanish Forces - very welcome to share her origins and the concerns that come with it with us citizens, Europeans have no problem with listening to opinions formed by experience.

She also is very involved with a lot of humanitarian and State projects since 1995, this includes batteling drug trade in Columbia, a Federation for a rare neurologicaal disease mainly threatening children and fight against corruption, together with the fact that she studied history in UCLA this gives all her comments a certain attention and consideration here, even our King received and welcomed her recognizing her social attention efforts:

2md5di0.jpg

I have no problem giving her opinions at least a thought, people uttering a simple "Shut Up" sounds like they are not on the same level and have no other arguments.

(JFTR, I find her music horrible).

Rattler

I will concede the point to you. As long as she is working and paying taxes she is entitled to give her input.

What I really hate is that everyone who is against this is calling it racism.
Either you are here legally and have nothing to worry about, or you are here illegally and should run and hide. BTW, police cannot stop random people on the street and ask for proof of citizenship. Police don;t have the time to do that anyway. Police will determine citizenship when they have PC (probable cause) to question someone. They were doing something suspicious enough for
1. the police to notice and
2. the police to suspect that a crime has been comitted.

I actually suspect it is number 2 that concerns people because when you combine it with your previous comment "or you are here illegally and should run and hide".
If you run the two together anyone you suspect is in the country illegally has committed a crime and what racial group are the "predominant" stereotype for illegal immigration?

Personally I don't think that this law will be abused in Arizona simply because the population demographic make it almost impossible to enforce in anything but isolated cases.

Having someone who is essentially a guest and not at least a citizen who's home it is, telling the host how it should be done is the same as:

Having a visitor come to your home, and tell you how to decorate.

Having a visitor come to your home, and tell you how to raise your kids.

America, being a good host won't kick them out, but we are under no obligation to accept their direction.

The US gets a lot of people telling us how to do things.

Of course they ignore the fact that we all ready do it better than anyone.:D;)

How many French would want Bruce Springstein telling them how to run their country?:rockin:

Fixed it fer ya.

Well not really because now it says "Shut up, honey. Its the only thing you're good at." Which she obviously isn't good at, otherwise she wouldn't be putting her two cents out there for anyone who will listen. She's not a citizen and doesn't live here. We care about her opposition to the law because....???? Oh that's right!! Because she's famous!!! We should all just bow down to what she wants. After all, that's the way the world works according to celebrities. *GAG*

Well, Isabel Mebarak Ripoll (that is her true name) actually lives in Spain, her "nation of choice" (Columbians have a birth right of becoming Spanish Citizens after living here more than 7 years).

She is encourged to say what she thinks here and is - like the thousands of Columbians and Eqadorians that serve in the Spanish Forces - very welcome to share her origins and the concerns that come with it with us citizens, Europeans have no problem with listening to opinions formed by experience.

She also is very involved with a lot of humanitarian and State projects since 1995, this includes batteling drug trade in Columbia, a Federation for a rare neurologicaal disease mainly threatening children and fight against corruption, together with the fact that she studied history in UCLA this gives all her comments a certain attention and consideration here, even our King received and welcomed her recognizing her social attention efforts:

2md5di0.jpg

I have no problem giving her opinions at least a thought, people uttering a simple "Shut Up" sounds like they are not on the same level and have no other arguments.

(JFTR, I find her music horrible).

Rattler

She is entitled to her opinion, and if she expressed sympathy for those who will be affected by this mess, thats OK. But to go out of her way to criticize a host when your a guest in that country is very rude. Especially when you have your facts wrong (the AZ law doesn't apply to her as shes a tourist on a Visa).

But I will say that my comments equally apply to Americans visiting abroad as well. If you decide to travel overseas remember to pack your manners. I am sick of seeing obnoxious US tourists, there is always one idiot that makes the rest of us look bad. You are only embarrassing yourself, our country, and by proxy those of Americans like myself who actually live here. The latter part is NOT appreciated. For example: People here find the RA! RA! USA#1 attitude to be very obnoxious. So don't do it when you are here.

Last edited:
Back