Seven Years....

I was in my Elementary school class doing a math assignment, when one of the teachers from the next grade up came in and started talking to my teacher. The kid I sat next to got up to "sharpen his pencil" and walked by to see what they were saying. He came back and said that someone had flown a plane into the World Trade Center. I thought he was joking. Then my teacher turned on the TV... this was at about 9:30 AM.

I remember a lot of people freaking out. The teachers were trying to calm us down, saying that NYC was a long way from Ohio, which it is. But it's still in the same damn country...

Hard to believe it's been seven years.

I had just finished a 2000 to 0600 shift got a phone call from the Day watch commander. He said turn on the TV and then come to work.

Wasn't in NYC but I worked in a major SE US city at the time and I remember thinking "Oh s**t where are they hitting next."

I had just finished a 2000 to 0600 shift got a phone call from the Day watch commander. He said turn on the TV and then come to work.

Wasn't in NYC but I worked in a major SE US city at the time and I remember thinking "Oh s**t where are they hitting next."
Try living within spitting distance of one of the top 5 research parks in the country.....

I remember having to assist Mall Security at a certain mall in clearing the mall. There was a thought that someone might target malls etc, with suicide bombers, bio releases or chem releases.

There are some people that just don't know how close they came to spending the night in the booty house. They were ignoring the Security Guys and when we arrived they wanted to argue.

I still remember hearing, "That's happening in NYC not here whats the reason to close our malls!"

And I still remember thinking." You shallow, self important, self absorbed mother:cen:ers!! People are dying, your countries been attacked and you're pissed because you can't go to the Gap."

hahahahaha, LEO work is some of the most frustrating, I had to deal with retards too that whole week but especially that night when life as we knew it changed.

You wanna see a buncha pissed off Coppers you shoulda been there. We knew that NYPD, Port Authority PD, NYFD, DOD and countless civies and goverment employees were dead trapped or dying. And we gotta deal with a buncha Soccer Mom's who can't go shopping. Yeah frustrating.

I was on foot patrolling most of the day with a shot gun in the area I was assigned that day after I got back from riot control prep for WTO upcoming protests, more than once I had the satisfaction of one of those weasels hit the deck because they saw me with a shotgun and with it not being on my shoulder pointed straight up and back, I guess they kinda felt they might be sucking shells. I really think many folks are truly alive only because it's against the law to kill them.

Remember the price gouging on gas, food and water the evening of the 11th?

I got to shut down and arrest the owners and managers of five stop and robs for doing that. Freakin scumbags. It made my night.

No, I didn't deal with that and I don't remember that with the fuel. Might have happened here but I don't recall that.

What did you have to get in order to justify the arrest on that? Wouldn't you have to prove that you knew gouging was going on for cya purposes with the PC?

Last edited:
Where I was then alot of people freaked out and started filling up on gas, food , water.

Most of the chain stores were alright. Been then you had the privately held stores in the lower income neighborhoods. Those guys started gouging charging 5.00 - 6.00 a gallon for gas. And outlandish prices for other goods.

The State Attorney general set the standards and authorized the arrests. All those arrests were prosecuted by his office not the DA.

Our County and State guys might have done that, I was asked for assistance on some things and if that was going on, that wasn't of the things they asked me to help with. Usually, when they asked me for help it was for something violent or related to bombs.

How did you know when gouging was going on? Just someone reporting a complaint or did you have folks who had the prices from say before the attacks and than compare what they were jacking them up to. Good Prosecutor, I like to see them work aggressively.

Most of the Jackasses especially on the gas signs left up the 1.87 or whatever. Then when somebody pumped they'd charge em the increase CUSTOMER REFUSES TO PAY THEN THEY OR THE STORE OWNER CALLS US. Or you could drive by and see their signs, the highest I saw was 7.50 per gallon. Question a few customers then bang ya had your PC.

Never forget the "Eeeets my store. I will set dey prices I want."

I had just finished an early morning shift on the tugs and arrived home expecting breakfast, only to find my wife and son standing looking at the TV, just as the first tower fell. I can remember feeling confused, we don't normally have the TV on until the evening news, why were they watching a "B" grade movie at this hour. My mind told me that real buildings just wouldn't collapse like that (straight down).

The fact that no one acknowledged my arrival soon told me that this was something out of the ordinary.

The rest is history.

hahahahahahaha, freakin tards!

When the towers were hit, I rmember telling my brothers/sisters in blue that they are gonna fall, they should get out of there. My people said nah, their not gonna fall and less than an hour later they came down. I remember wishing I had the number to tell them but I doubt they would have listened to me because if they didn't come down and they didn't go in, they would have Rosie O'Donnel types complaining about that. Very frustrating.

Last edited:
I remember some reporter asking an NYPD Sgt. if he was going "back in there?" and him saying yes "I've got people in there." that was shortly before the first collaspe.

Yeah, I kinda feel like they should have just held for awhile until the buildings could have been tested for stability. I know the job requires going into harms way but I feel like we lost good people after the attacks that could have been avoided if the order was given to wait, obviously, that wouldn't have been very popular but I think I might have done so if I would have been thinking then as I am now and was in charge at/on the scene. Tough call. Either decision made would have been risky.

The worst part was telling people to stay put.
By the way never listen to that sort of stuff. It merely means the authorities don't know what to do and haven't decided on a course of action.

I was in bed when the towers got hit. My son and daughter were up early watching cartoons. My son came into my bedroom and said a plane crashed. Well, we lived right in the flight path at SeaTac airport in Seattle. Our apartment complex was litteraly the last residential buildings that planes passed when landing, so I thought it was one near us at our airport. I was wrong....I thought that it was a small cesna or something and that someone was flying drunk....Then I saw the second one get hit and I told my wife that it was no mistake or accident. That this was for real, and it was deliberate and planned. Then I saw the news about the other planes....and I knew we were under attack....A few days later, my son (who was only 4 at the time) said that he wanted to join the Air Force when he got older. I asked why. He said he wanted to help to protect our land because "it's ours, not theirs!" He didn't fully understand the scope of things, but to this day (he is 11 now) he still wants to be a pilot in the Air Force. About 3 years ago, my family and I witnessed another plane crash in Seattle. A float plane and a cesna collided mid air. The float plane kept flying and the cesna went down immediatly. Afteeerwards, I asked my son if he still wanted to be a pilot. His response: "Yeah dad. I mean, planes crash sometimes. It's a risk and you can't live in fear your whole life." WTF? Did I instil this kind of thinking in my own son? And HOW did I do that? LOL Anyway, I can't believe I missed this thread all this time...but Thats what I was doing...My life has not been the same since. I can't watch video of any of it anymore. I remember watching the people jumping to their deaths and trying to put myself in their shoes. It hurt so bad....and I will retire fro typing this now as I am beginning to tear up again.

There was an Exxon station near where I live that became semi-famous when the owner jacked prices up to $6. After that, the station changed owners at least a half dozen times and always had extremely cheap gas. No one ever went there again, however, and it closed in 2007.

Back