Service Issue Pistol

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
As a soldier of the US Army, I was issued a Beretta M9 pistol in 9X19mm. What do you guys get?

US Armed Forces, special forces excluded, are all M9s in 9x19...but you knew that already.

Not sure about other militaries.

I was issued a Colt 1911A1 when I was commissioned. I still prefer it and own one of my own with a third party receiver group from Essex Iron Works that gives it very little kickback at all. That with pro sights and Pacmar grips result in an unbeatable pistol in my opinion. I wish the Army had done something similar and refurbished the Colts rather than adopting the Barettas.

When I reported in to command a company in VietNam in 1968 the company armorer handed me a M1911 45 and I handed it right back and told him I wanted a M-16. I carried a M-16 with an under slung XM-203 40mm grenade launcher. I felt that the 45 was useless unless you were less than 10 feet away and anyway at that range throwing it was probably more effective. Just my opinion.
;)

In Germany we had the Heckler & Koch P1 that is now replaced by the HK P8. Both in 9X19 (9mm NATO).
The P8 is a brother of the Mk 23 socom. Both are based on the Heckler & Koch USP.

:salute: JOKER

Browning 9mm. Old as all hell but battle proven and never had any reason to doubt them. They will probably be changed soon as there has been extensive testing, but most armourers and DSTO blokes who have been testing have recommended not changing.

tomtom22 said:
When I reported in to command a company in VietNam in 1968 the company armorer handed me a M1911 45 and I handed it right back and told him I wanted a M-16. I carried a M-16 with an under slung XM-203 40mm grenade launcher. I felt that the 45 was useless unless you were less than 10 feet away and anyway at that range throwing it was probably more effective. Just my opinion.
;)

Question tomtom, when exacxtly did the U.S. start the design and building of the M203?

Joker said:
In Germany we had the Heckler & Koch P1 that is now replaced by the HK P8. Both in 9X19 (9mm NATO).
The P8 is a brother of the Mk 23 socom. Both are based on the Heckler & Koch USP.

:salute: JOKER

you Germans do have good taste in pistols...... sadly, my countries military is still stuck on the M9....

There's nothing wrong with the M9, ghost, it's a good pistol, that works under most conditions, and that has a large magazine. It's also extremely accurate in my experience. Compared to the Colt .45, I have to say, i prefer the M9.

yes, but in my opinion, it doesnt quite stand up to the USP. now this isnt based on experience with either pistol, but from the research that i have done on the subject. also, the USP looks better :rambo:

Back