Service Issue Pistol

A common Joke among diggers is that the Browning 9mm "High Power" has an effective range depending on how hard you can throw it.

I've never fired it personally but have heard that over time they've degraded into a glorified paperweight.

Craftsman said:
A common Joke among diggers is that the Browning 9mm "High Power" has an effective range depending on how hard you can throw it.

I've never fired it personally but have heard that over time they've degraded into a glorified paperweight.
LOL

WRT pistols:
does every soldier have them? are they part of basic combat kit or is it up to the individual to procure one? are they really a necessary part of the kit, i would assume that if you were down to your pistol you are pretty much :censored: as the OPFOR wont be using pistols. that said are would they be used as an intermediary where you fire the pistol while reloading primary weapon (if this is actually done, as it was in Black hawk down)
is the pistol an effective weapon? i imagine the stopping power isn't great and it would take a couple of rounds to really lay a man on the ground, unless you hit a vital organ

The spring in the mag of the m9 sucks, it tends to jam with a smal bit of sand or perhaps break. Maybe its might be the fact that the spring can't take the stress of having 15 bullets in the mag. Some guns have that problem. Maybe it could be fixed by loading just 13 or 12 instead of 15.

9mm Browning pistol for both Aussie Army & Navy (don't know what the AF use - maybe a boomerang).

This is how I passed my 9mm pistol test. Chaplains were/are usually thrown into the same squad as doctors, nurses, dentists, lawyers, Psych's, Public Relations and Supply Officers. We were lined up for the target shooting test and we're told that to pass we had to get 30 of 40 rounds within the parameter of the charging-soldier image. Next to me was the dentist who was nervous and as unsteady as hell. We followed the Instructors orders when to fire and how many rounds including mag changes. When the Chief inspected the targets to count the holes he yelled out to me "perfect score padre - 40." Then he moved to the dentist's and saw it was clean and yelled "you :cen: idiot, didn't get a single shot in - fail." Later we worked out that the dentist thought my target was his and pumped it full of bullets.

tomtom22 said:
When I reported in to command a company in VietNam in 1968 the company armorer handed me a M1911 45 and I handed it right back and told him I wanted a M-16. I carried a M-16 with an under slung XM-203 40mm grenade launcher. I felt that the 45 was useless unless you were less than 10 feet away and anyway at that range throwing it was probably more effective. Just my opinion.

;)

I think you were out of your mind

Back