Service with 21 SAS

AussieNick

Forum Digger
Hi,
It's been a while since I've posted on here, and a lot of people on here already know me but I'll give the background again.

I'm an Australian Army Infantry Officer, I'm a Captain currently on an instructional posting. My fiancé and I are considering moving to the UK next year after I complete my upcoming deployment.

I would like to take the opportunity to serve with the British Army, and I am considering the TA as an option.

I would like to attempt selection for 21 SAS so I can still have some sort of life in the UK...... for a while anyway, but I have some questions.

1. I am not a dual citizen, but I do hold an ancestry visa. Can I still serve as an officer as I hold a Commission from the Governor General of Australia on behalf of the Queen.

2. Will the British Army allow me to retain rank and seniority, or will I be required to reduce rank on lateral transfer.

3. Do you need to join another British regiment first before attempting selection if you are a lateral transfer from a Commonwealth country.

4. Will the British Army allow me to remain on the inactive list for the Australian Army while I serve in the UK?

5. What are the deployment opportunities/rotation lengths for 21/23 SAS?

6. After serving in the UKSF (R) what is the process to transfer to 22 SAS?

I'm asking the questions seriously, and I'm not looking for vague advice about SF selection. I know all about that, and have been preparing to attempt Australian SASR selection for the past year. My life changes may result in me moving to the UK, so I'd simply like to readjust my focus to the UKSF.

Another question.

UK recruiting info states that you must reside in the UK for 5 years prior to application. Can this be waived for personnel from another Commonwealth Army? I know we do this for Brits coming over here.

42 RM should be able to answer your questions.
Atleast with regards to twentytwo,s cousins.

You may want to concider popping him a PM.

KJ sends..

Potential Applicants from the Commonwealth are required to travel to the UK to apply in person. Also you must be able to prove that you have the right to remain in the UK during the recruiting process.

You must hold a valid passport with a minimum of 4 years and 6 months validity on it from when you first make an application to an Army Careers Office in UK. Also you must hold a valid UK visa with minimum of 4 months left to run on it from when you first make an application at an Army Careers Office. You must provide an original written character reference when you apply. And they will require seeing any records of service and/or discharge papers.

Normally you would have to have lived in the UK for a period of 5 years immediately prior to making an application but you can seek a waiver to reduce this residency requirement when you are a Commonwealth national.

Q1 The training of officers in Australia and Britain are pretty much the same, so I will say yes.

Q.2 This will depend on an Appraisal of your current service and experience.

Q.3 No, you can apply directly into 21 or 23 SAS

Q.4 That depends on whether there is such an agreement between our two nations. They will know at the Army Careers Office.

Q.5 & 6 I won’t answer that in an open forum. There is a PM on its way.

Cheers fellas. Thanks for the info. I'm in the UK from 14 September, so I think some face to face time with the Army Careers Office is in order.

Cheers fellas. Thanks for the info. I'm in the UK from 14 September, so I think some face to face time with the Army Careers Office is in order.

Let us know how it works out.

A local lad, a South African joined the Royal Marines, how he managed it I have no idea. Sadly it was reported in the local paper a couple years ago that he had been killed in Afghanistan.

No problem since South Africa is a member of the Commonwealth.

Now here's the kicker, my son born and bred in UK contacted the RAF to inquire about joining. The RAF told him that he would have to be living in UK for 5 years.

Now here's the kicker, my son born and bred in UK contacted the RAF to inquire about joining. The RAF told him that he would have to be living in UK for 5 years.
Potential Applicants from the Commonwealth are required to travel to the UK to apply in person. Also you must be able to prove that you have the right to remain in the UK during the recruiting process.

You must hold a valid passport with a minimum of 4 years and 6 months validity on it from when you first make an application in UK. Also you must hold a valid UK visa with minimum of 4 months left to run on it from when you first make an application. Normally you would have to have lived in the UK for a period of 5 years immediately prior to making an application but you can seek a waiver to reduce this residency requirement when you are a Commonwealth national.

For security reasons, there are stricter nationality requirements for some jobs. For a few, you must have been a UK citizen and UK resident since birth.

Generally the RAF is a little harder to get into if you don´t live in the UK.

Hi, I don't mean to be a pain, but some of my questions are similar to the above and it seems silly to start a new thread for the same things!!The question of concern is number 5 to be honest. Im 21, UK born and resident. I have been looking into 21 for a long time and have contacted them with regards to the selection dates, this is a very is a strong mind set and not just an infatuation! I am asking about this rotation lengths and so on so that i can get a better understanding and insight into the life that goes with 21. So if you wouldn't mind would someone be able to provide more of an insight into that question?

The answer is very simple - NO!
If that´s the path you choose, you take what´s coming. End of discussion.

Not normally with SAS (R) unless you have a relevant military background such as Australian Commandos.

Back