Seriously considering joining the military

mcullen

For over the past year or so, I've been thinking off and on about going into the military. I want to but at the same time, the thought of getting deployed to the Middle East scares me. I just turned twenty and I'm a female as well. However, yesterday my brother swore into the National Guard (he's a cav scout, leaving for basic in October) and I had one of those moments were I went "I want to do that." When we came home, I started researching the different branches and the jobs for hours on end. I felt…I don't know. After watching the videos and reading up on things I was like "I can do this."

I'm thinking about either doing Army National Guard, Air Guard or Air Force. I know I need to talk to a recruiter but I want to think this over for a bit before I take a few steps forward. I'm almost set on joining the military. The more I talk about it with my friends (who aren't happy but they said they'll support me), the more I want to do it.

The only problem is at the moment I just finished my second year of college, my first year in my education degree. I want to still do that but I also really want to do the military as well. I'm aware of getting deployed and all of that but at the same time, college will be there when I finished and I only have a small window to do the military.

I guess my question is what made you decide to join the military? What advice can you give someone who is looking and seriously considering joining? What are the pros and cons that you faced while joining? Or just anything you'd like to share at all.

Thank you~

(I also apologize if this is not the right place to post this)

Joining the military is a HUGE commitment obviously. And it's something that if you do it for the wrong reasons, you will regret it. Have you thought seriously about what MOS you'd want to pursue?

I joined the military because due to my family situation I really didn't feel like I had a choice. I mean I had the grades to go to college but for one I didn't have the money and for two I really couldn't imagine myself in a college classroom then at some job punching in punching out every day of my life. My next option was probably jail time because of where I grew up and family situation. So I talked to a recruiter and I really had it in my brain combat engineer. Combat engineer. Combat engineer. So I did a three year enlistment with that and was deployed three times as a combat engineer and got shot three times.

Go to youtube, and just look for videos about other people's experiences enlisting. Because when you get to basic, it's going to hit home real hard, real fast. I'm currently a Drill Sergeant with the US Army so trust me when I say, it hits home hard. After you get your basic gear you'll be bussed to reception and as soon as you step off that bus, that Drill Sergeant is going to be in your face. For instance when recruits get here for us and we're lining them up they're told to put their face into their pack and not to move. And when someone doesn't listen or doesn't want to (whatever) they get a Drill Sergeant in their face.

Remember: Drill Sergeants do not yell...we make sure everyone heard so we don't have to repeat ourselves (hopefully).

Joining the military is a HUGE commitment obviously. And it's something that if you do it for the wrong reasons, you will regret it. Have you thought seriously about what MOS you'd want to pursue?

I joined the military because due to my family situation I really didn't feel like I had a choice. I mean I had the grades to go to college but for one I didn't have the money and for two I really couldn't imagine myself in a college classroom then at some job punching in punching out every day of my life. My next option was probably jail time because of where I grew up and family situation. So I talked to a recruiter and I really had it in my brain combat engineer. Combat engineer. Combat engineer. So I did a three year enlistment with that and was deployed three times as a combat engineer and got shot three times.

Go to youtube, and just look for videos about other people's experiences enlisting. Because when you get to basic, it's going to hit home real hard, real fast. I'm currently a Drill Sergeant with the US Army so trust me when I say, it hits home hard. After you get your basic gear you'll be bussed to reception and as soon as you step off that bus, that Drill Sergeant is going to be in your face. For instance when recruits get here for us and we're lining them up they're told to put their face into their pack and not to move. And when someone doesn't listen or doesn't want to (whatever) they get a Drill Sergeant in their face.

Remember: Drill Sergeants do not yell...we make sure everyone heard so we don't have to repeat ourselves (hopefully).

Not to counter you Sargent, but I remember getting yelled at very loudly during my 9 week stint in boot camp, please in humor. BTW this was in 1978 and we had some phenomenal drill instructors and some so - so.

One has to look at it as a Hugh change in lifestyle that must be accepted willingly. Also AIT can still be a bit tough as well. I was in for radar mechanic but a certain level of disciple - physical training was maintained in AIT.

I wish you the best of luck young man should you decide to become a veteran and serve. The Sargent "crazytanker" has provided you with sound advice.

Not to counter you Sargent, but I remember getting yelled at very loudly during my 9 week stint in boot camp, please in humor. BTW this was in 1978 and we had some phenomenal drill instructors and some so - so.

One has to look at it as a Hugh change in lifestyle that must be accepted willingly. Also AIT can still be a bit tough as well. I was in for radar mechanic but a certain level of disciple - physical training was maintained in AIT.

I wish you the best of luck young man should you decide to become a veteran and serve. The Sargent "crazytanker" has provided you with sound advice.

We don't yell! We make sure everyone heard us the first time! Then if we have to repeat ourselves it's because you either didn't listen or didn't pay attention ;). See my reply to my introductory thread, but a lot has changed since '78.

And you're right, it's a HUGE lifestyle change. But I mean you make the choice to enlist, and if you don't do the homework before hand I mean that's on you. Because once you sign that paperwork...for 10 weeks once you get to basic, a Drill Sergeant owns your a$$!

For over the past year or so, I've been thinking off and on about going into the military. I want to but at the same time, the thought of getting deployed to the Middle East scares me. I just turned twenty and I'm a female as well. However, yesterday my brother swore into the National Guard (he's a cav scout, leaving for basic in October) and I had one of those moments were I went "I want to do that." When we came home, I started researching the different branches and the jobs for hours on end. I felt…I don't know. After watching the videos and reading up on things I was like "I can do this."

I'm thinking about either doing Army National Guard, Air Guard or Air Force. I know I need to talk to a recruiter but I want to think this over for a bit before I take a few steps forward. I'm almost set on joining the military. The more I talk about it with my friends (who aren't happy but they said they'll support me), the more I want to do it.

The only problem is at the moment I just finished my second year of college, my first year in my education degree. I want to still do that but I also really want to do the military as well. I'm aware of getting deployed and all of that but at the same time, college will be there when I finished and I only have a small window to do the military.

I guess my question is what made you decide to join the military? What advice can you give someone who is looking and seriously considering joining? What are the pros and cons that you faced while joining? Or just anything you'd like to share at all.

Thank you~

(I also apologize if this is not the right place to post this)

I did 5 years with the Royal Air Force and 15 years in the Territorial Army (similar to the US National Guard).

I loved the military if I were perfectly honest, its a good life, you make good mates who will share their last penny with you. However, I would seriously suggest that you learn a trade, a trade that would be useful in civi street once your military time is finished. I remember ex Royal Air Force jet engine mechs earning a small fortune tax free in Saudi Arabia working as civi contractors on their British supplied English Electric Lightnings.

I joined the Air Force in 1977. Back then boot camp was 6 weeks long. My main reason was to see the world coupled with the ability to work on jets and belong to an organized society. Since I had numerous relatives in all branches, I was pretty much prepared for the endless array of mind games. So my advice to anyone is to do your homework on the branch of service and mentally understand that there will be all kinds of attempts to break you out of your "soft" civilian lifestyle.
The "real" USAF was of course nothing like Basic, but it seemed the mind games and the "good ole boy society" was alive and well.

Back