Serious question about joining the marines......

JameSS

I have wanted to join the marines since I have graduated from high school in 2000. I am now 22 about to turn 23 and wanted to know honestly if I am to old or if I was to join I should have did it straight out of high-school. The only thing that is really holding me back right now is my girl-friend. We have a serious realtionship going for about 2 years now and I don't want to lose that. i feel if I were to join the marines that she would not wait out the 4 years for me. The reason i say this is because her ex-boyfriend joined the marines and she dumped him and got with me!!! Now I feel if I were to do the same thing she would leave me. I don't know if any of you have gone through this problem before but any input would be appreciated.......thanks James.

Ouch, difficult subject..

The first thing you should to is to have a long and serious chat with your girlfriend about it.
If you decide to join and she doesn't feel comfortable with that, it's a good chance you will get dumped too..

And about your age, I don't think 23 is too old to join.

Thats a touchy matter. I think you should find the answer to the question: " Do I really feel like she is the girl for me? I mean really? ". The answer is inside of you.
But man, if she's just a bitchy little spoiled one, who never accepts to step back for her partner, YOU dump her and join the Marine Corps.
The point is you got the answer already. But have to be a little intuitive about that. My 2 cents, bro.

Age is up to you. I joined at 21, it is aboutbein ingood shape and have a good head on your shoulders. Gotta go with ItalianGuy on this. You need to decide if she is "TheOne". If this is something that you have always wanted to do and it sounds like it to me, if she is that "One" she will understand. What happened between her and her ex has nothin to do with you and her. Sit down talk it out, and if she is completely against it, then you know what you have to do:

Tell her to get lost because you are goin to be among the most elite fightin force in the nation and if she dont like that tough shit.

Nope: still good on age.

The thing with you and your one and only is this: are you living for her? or are you living for yourself? You are the one that ultimately has to live with your choices.

Just because she dumped her other boy friend when he went in the marines does not mean she would automatically dump you. better talk with her.

just this: There is only one US Marine Corp. There are plenty of other women. might remind her of that fact.

Good Luck.

Mark Conley said:
just this: There is only one US Marine Corp. There are plenty of other women. might remind her of that fact.

Ouch.. :lol:

Mark Conley said:

Good Luck.

8) You'd better listen to the wise man's word. 8)

I agree with Mark 100%. Another point you may want to think about: if you aren't willing to put the Corps first, do not bother joining, you are not wanted nor needed. It may seem harsh, but that is the reality of military service.

I'd look at it this way: If she really loves you, she'll want you to be happy, and she wouldn't want to hold you back from doing what you want to do. If she leaves you over this, she wasn't the one for you.
my USD 0.02

Now, if this young man had said he wanted the Air Force...but you gotta be where you wanna be...he didnt say Air Force, did he? aw sh*t...

:D

Mark Conley said:
Now, if this young man had said he wanted the Air Force...but you gotta be where you wanna be...he didnt say Air Force, did he? aw sh*t...

:D

I believe he said he wanted to work with the AF Medical Service as an Industrial Hygiene Technician, but after your comment, he's going to go Marines. :D

RnderSafe said:
I believe he said he wanted to work with the AF Medical Service as an Industrial Hygiene Technician, but after your comment, he's going to go Marines. :D
If he scares that easily, that might not be a good idea. ;) :D

I heard the same thing, RnderSafe, and that he wanted to hear some stories about the AF, but he probably only wants to hear gung-ho Leatherneck stories now.
:lol:

RnderSafe said:
Another point you may want to think about: if you aren't willing to put the Corps first, do not bother joining, you are not wanted nor needed. It may seem harsh, but that is the reality of military service.

This is true. The Corps is not a place for someone to gohalf hearted. But from earlier statements yousaid you have always wanted to be in The Marines. Do it. She will stay or she will go. If she stays fine if she goes find another, and another and another. Lots of women only one Marine Corps :rambo:

Redneck said:
I heard the same thing, RnderSafe, and that he wanted to hear some stories about the AF, but he probably only wants to hear gung-ho Leatherneck stories now.
:lol:
If thats what he wants i've the book for him Swift Silent and Surrouned (once i find the url for it i'll post it, because you can only get it at that website.)

if you do im not sure if they do this any more but when you first get out to paris island u follow yellow footprints on the ground once youre put in formation if they come by and right a number on ur hand and it begins with a 3 ur in for HELL if its a 1 its a good bit better and if its a 2 its alright the sort u into 3 dif squads im not sure if the do this nemore but just pray to god u dont get 3rd squad

and also ive heard that u have little cards and when the drill instructor is gettin in ur face and all u can pull out the card and go ur hurting my feelings well not really but there are little cards that u can pull out when drill instructor pushes u around my uncle who was a marine says that thats for pussies because when he was there they could slap u around and never hear nething about it

No 1328, there are no such cards in the Marine Corps. The Army tried stress cards for a bit at a couple of its basic training locations.

Try not to make back to back posts in the same thread on the same exact topic. Say what you have to say in one post.

Back