A Serious IP Address Question




 
--
 
August 1st, 2008  
pixiedustboo
 
 

Topic: A Serious IP Address Question


If someone (just the average citizen) traces an IP can they trace other places the person is on the web? Or exactly where they live? I mean like accessing last name, home address, etc?

Some guy from a site I was on traced my IP and sent me a message that is creeping the hell out of me.... He said 7 miles from me. Is there any way he can actually know exactly where I live?

I reported the message as a threat and deleted my profile.



I looked up a couple of different things on IP Addresses (I know what they are, I just don't know all the other stuff), and it said people can only track the general area...but this guy specifically said, "hey you are 7 miles from me practically in my back yard."
August 1st, 2008  
The Other Guy
 
 
As far as I know, you can only trace to generic locations. I've seen ones that have traced as close to me as 5 miles away, but never to my house.

So i'd say that that person is close to you, but not as close as they think.
August 1st, 2008  
pixiedustboo
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
As far as I know, you can only trace to generic locations. I've seen ones that have traced as close to me as 5 miles away, but never to my house.

So i'd say that that person is close to you, but not as close as they think.
Ugh. Thank God.

I read that on one of the sites I looked up about IP Address, but I wanted to make sure.
--
August 1st, 2008  
senojekips
 
 
If you switch off your modem when you are off line and have a dynamic IP your IP will change when rebooted, so i think he may have located your node. Did he send the message via a website PM or email, if by website PM report his harrassment to the owners. If he has your email address he has got that from elsewhere. Do not answer his PMs or emails, that will confirm that he has you rattled.
August 1st, 2008  
pixiedustboo
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
If you switch off your modem when you are off line and have a dynamic IP your IP will change when rebooted, so i think he may have located your node. Did he send the message via a website PM or email, if by website PM report his harrassment to the owners. If he has your email address he has got that from elsewhere. Do not answer his PMs or emails, that will confirm that he has you rattled.
Is that bad, if he locates a node? What does that mean?

I did report it. And I certainly didn't answer him! I reported the message and deleted my profile right after.

He doesn't have my eMail, he sent me the message through the messaging system there.
August 1st, 2008  
senojekips
 
 
Righto, I'd guarantee that he is BSing you.

Here's an example of my IP location. It is over 100 miles away from my hometown of Jamestown. All he has is one of the possible nodes that your computer is using I wouldn't worry too much.

August 1st, 2008  
senojekips
 
 
To see for yourself, go to http://www.cmyip.com/

Copy your IP and go to http://www.geobytes.com/ipLocator.htm

if your correct IP is not already in the search box paste the one from CmyIP where you were previously and you will be able to see what information the creep has, it will look like that which I posted above.

I think you'll find that he's full of sauce.
August 1st, 2008  
pixiedustboo
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
Righto, I'd guarantee that he is BSing you.

Here's an example of my IP location. It is over 100 miles away from my hometown of Jamestown. All he has is one of the possible nodes that your computer is using I wouldn't worry too much.
Awesome.

Super thanks to you! And TOG.

I won't worry about it anymore.
August 1st, 2008  
mmarsh
 
 
I am a Network Administrator, I can tell you for a fact he is BSing you.

Here is how it works

Your IP address is given to you by your ISP. It is a dynamic address. The means the IP is leased to you for a period of time (a few days typically), then its either renewed or released. If you shut off your modem or router the IP is automatically released, when you reconnect the router it will automatically send a broadcast for a new IP address from the ISP DHCP server.

If I was to institute a trace on your IP (like Record Companies do to track music pirates) the only information I could get would be the IP of your ISP provider because all ISPs use security measures such as proxy servers to execute commands on your pcs behalf. Its not your IP thats accessing www.milforum.com its your ISP proxy server thats doing it on your pc's behalf.

The only one who knows who you really are is your ISP. This has created some problems in the music piracy business because the record companies have sued the ISPs to release the names of the people who are using P2P programs.

Hope that helps.
September 6th, 2008  
wolfen
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
To see for yourself, go to http://www.cmyip.com/

Copy your IP and go to http://www.geobytes.com/ipLocator.htm

if your correct IP is not already in the search box paste the one from CmyIP where you were previously and you will be able to see what information the creep has, it will look like that which I posted above.

I think you'll find that he's full of sauce.
Good one, I can use that to screw with my 10 year old head, LOL

The only thing you can see unless you work for some MAJOR Govt office or the police is a generic server ip that they use to connect. The one on your computer has to be physically hacked by a pro to even have sombody come near it.
 


Similar Topics
Court Transcripts
What was said on the 3rd presidential debate.
Serious joining question experts please answer
A very serious question...
Serious question about joining the marines......