sentenced to 3 years for insulting the monarchy. - Page 2

--
Boots

January 21st, 2009  
senojekips

It's their country, and if you are a visitor, it is the responsibility of those visitors to be aware of their laws and customs.

The Thais are not so stupid that they are not aware of what was going on. I'm pretty sure that if it was a genuine mistake, he may well have been treated as an ignorant "round eye" and only warned or even ignored. However, they are also highly aware of persons who deliberately flout their alleged "ignorance" in an effort to get away with things the locals would not.

I think there is still a good chance that he will be given a few months to "get his head right", and possibly pardoned, exchanged, probably under the guise of the Thais caving into Australian diplomatic requests.
January 21st, 2009  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Shorts_Momma
I remember something a few years back where an American youngster (possibly 16-18 years old?) was in the Middle East. He acted off, (I'm thinking vandallisim) and was sentenced to corporal punishment of a cane beating.

I tried to find it with a Google search, but I imagine the search was too vague! Does anyone remember the incident I'm talking about?

I found it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay:
Michael Peter Fay (born May 30, 1975) is an American who was caned in Singapore as an 18-year-old on May 5, 1994, for theft and vandalism. The number of cane strokes in his sentence was reduced from six to four after US officials requested leniency.
I remember that incident. I served in Singapore many years ago, you don't mess about there. He was lucky he got the sentence reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieMSG
Teddy Roosevelt said in 1908 ... "There is no room for hyphenated Americanism. You are either an American, or you are not."
I agree with that sentiment totally.
January 21st, 2009  
AB_Shorts_Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieMSG
Teddy Roosevelt said in 1908 ... "There is no room for hyphenated Americanism. You are either an American, or you are not."
Didn't Colin Powell say something similar? I can't find the actual quote right now, but I believe he said something like, Don't call me an African-American, I'm an American. When you call me an African-American you segregate me.
--
Boots
January 25th, 2009  
major liability

Multiculutralism is a terrible idea. Knowing and respecting other cultures is a good thing, but changing your own to suit them is insane and in my opinion pathetic and disgusting.
January 25th, 2009  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by major liability
Multiculutralism is a terrible idea. Knowing and respecting other cultures is a good thing, but changing your own to suit them is insane and in my opinion pathetic and disgusting.
10/10

Forced* multiculturalism is no more than the ill thought "dumbing down" of the world's natural diversity, that, if it were practical (which it is not) would eventually lead to a vanilla flavoured, coffee coloured monoculture with no individual pride and little sense of purpose.

* I deliberately limit my comment to, Forced multiculturalism, because there is, and always has been a natural mixing and blending going on all the time, but this is offset by the creation of new forms of Racial and National diversity. All the do gooders are doing is trying to stop peoples pride in their own unique culture and nationality.
January 25th, 2009  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
It's their country, and if you are a visitor, it is the responsibility of those visitors to be aware of their laws and customs.

The Thais are not so stupid that they are not aware of what was going on. I'm pretty sure that if it was a genuine mistake, he may well have been treated as an ignorant "round eye" and only warned or even ignored. However, they are also highly aware of persons who deliberately flout their alleged "ignorance" in an effort to get away with things the locals would not.

I think there is still a good chance that he will be given a few months to "get his head right", and possibly pardoned, exchanged, probably under the guise of the Thais caving into Australian diplomatic requests.
CNN did a story about the case and according to many its really related to local Thai politics. The king himself has said its okay to criticize him and he has pardoned people (including westerners) before for this. At issue is the Thai PM who has used this obscure law to silence opponents. Essentially he is using this Aussie as a warning to political opposition who might seek to challenge him. "What I can do to a foreigner, is nothing compared what i can do to you" is the message he is broadcasting. I fully suspect, he will be released and deported once he is no longer needed.

Western governments do the same, only because the media has greater liberty to report such actions these little power struggles using lackmail are much more subtle.
January 25th, 2009  
senojekips

I agree 100%, although normally I don't really bother myself with the vagaries of SE Asian politics. It's not worth the effort.

Politics in these countries is no more than an rubber stamp for corruption on a grand scale. They just haven't had the time to refine it to the degree our own politicians have.
January 26th, 2009  
HokieMSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
I agree 100%, although normally I don't really bother myself with the vagaries of SE Asian politics. It's not worth the effort.

Politics in these countries is no more than an rubber stamp for corruption on a grand scale. They just haven't had the time to refine it to the degree our own politicians have.

I put forth the current Secretary of State as an example supporting your statement, senojekips.
January 26th, 2009  
pixiedustboo

Wow. That's crazy.

...I wonder if we'll ever get to that point.....