Send in the Marines (General Peter Pace)

Padre

Milforum Chaplain
I see Pres. Bush has appointed Marine General Peter Pace as the new Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.

I don't think a marine has been in that position before. Does the job mean anything in terms of command, and what is the take on General Peter Pace - good choice or not????

I had started a thread bout this back when General Pace was nominated by the President. There's some more info about him there as well as some interesting comments.

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11320&highlight=peter+pace

CBS news had a special segment on the General last night. It was very well done and left me feeling very happy that this man is now the highest ranking officer in the US military. I felt a connection to him. He undertands and appreciates things alot like I do. Of course he'd have my salute anyway, but it always best when the salute is for the person as well as the rank.

:salute2:

My 2cents:

The Chief of Staff, in all armed forces around the world, has some unique duties such as:

1- Coordinating army, navy and airforce activities
2- Report to the president (head of state) regarding the armed services operations
3- regulating orders given by the president(head of state) to the lower commanders in his chain of command
4- Acting as a military advisor to the president (head of state)

You're right Padre, this is the first USMC Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. There have been 8 Army, 4 Navy, and 4 AF Generals in that position in the past.

From Wikipedia.org.
After the 1986 reorganization of the military undertaken by the Goldwater-Nichols Act, the Joint Chiefs of Staff do not have operational command of U.S. military forces. Responsibility for conducting military operations goes from the President to the Secretary of Defense directly to the heads of the Unified Combatant Commands and thus bypasses the Joint Chiefs of Staff completely. Today, their primary responsibility is to ensure the readiness of their respective military services. The Joint Chiefs of Staff also act in an advisory military capacity for the President of the United States and the Secretary of Defense. In addition, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff acts as the chief military advisor to the President and the Secretary of Defense.

Back