Send American-japanese to prison? - Page 4

View Poll Results :Send the American-Japaneses to "prison" during WW2
Wrong (Why not?) 17 68.00%
Right (Why?) 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

--

May 8th, 2006  
Italian Guy

This thread has provided some damn good information on something I wasn't too familiar with.
June 1st, 2006  
godofthunder9010

Wrong. If that order by FDR was not naked racism, they he should have ordered the rounding up and imprisonment of all Germans in the United States. In the cases of both groups, most of them left Germany/Japan for a better life here in the USA. Most loved their former homelands, but all of them left it behind. Their allegience was to the United States of America. Those few who were "spies" or "conspirators" for their former homelands were very rare indeed. The Japanese Internment Camps were nothing like the attrocities of Germany, Japan and the USSR, but they remain as a black mark upon our hisory.
June 6th, 2006  
SNowblind

Quote:
This was very generous of them....
However, could you imagine the Japanese - Americans waving the Japanese flags on December 7, 1941 somewhere in Manhattan or in Chicago?
Unfortunately, I have seen the Palestinian people celebrating 9/11 in Chicago. I repeat, CELEBRATING!
They were doing this without any regrets for the innocent lives lost and WERE SEEKING the media attention
thats awful.....ANYONE WHO CELEBRATES 9/11 in the u.s. should be deported, or convicted of treason.....
FDR was a great president, problably the best democrat ever, but he got a little......too powerful, he tried to change the members of the supreme court when they vetoed a part of the New Deal...cant remember what exactly

how often is an american citizen accused of treason anyway?
--
June 10th, 2006  
godofthunder9010

It's in the constitution. Requires two witnesses, I believe. Supposedly, it carries the death sentence. Has anyone ever been executed for treason though?? I don't believe so, but I could be wrong.
June 10th, 2006  
Missileer

The only one I know of was John Brown in 1859.

On October 16, 1859 John Brown, three of his sons, and 19 associates raided the federal arsenal at Harpers Ferry, Virginia. Planning to seize arms stored at the arsenal and set up a base to encourage and assist further slave insurrections, Brown and his men were trapped by U.S. marines and captured. Tried for treason, Brown was convicted and hanged. Southerners saw in Brown’s raid the violent intentions of northerners, while many in the North mourned Brown’s death as a revolutionary martyr. A Harper's Weekly artist sketched Brown and his co-conspirators shortly after their capture as they were charged with treason and murder in a Charlestown, Virginia, courtroom.
June 15th, 2006  
mmarsh

Here is the fundimental reason of why it was wrong.

If internment was right, then why wern't Italian-Americans and German Americans not locked up as well. Germany was a far greater threat than Japan was.
June 15th, 2006  
bulldogg

That's not a reason, that's just a question.
June 16th, 2006  
boris116

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
Here is the fundimental reason of why it was wrong.

If internment was right, then why wern't Italian-Americans and German Americans not locked up as well. Germany was a far greater threat than Japan was.
The internment of the German-Americans has happened, as well - look up on the Internet.

Why it was on the lesser scale?
1. Germany seemed not to be an imminent and immediate threat, while Japan was after Pearl Harbor
2. Healthy dose of racism. At that time, Japanese were viewed by many as "yellow savages". They were not understood, therefore, hated more than the Germans
June 16th, 2006  
JulesLee

i think no.. we were in war with germany and the axis and there are desendents that are from the axis and some of them fought the axis.... large % of white population of US are mixed europeans.. and i know some are mostly german and yeh.. its not fair.. but being asian r different.. like how koreans in US wanted to fight but they were backed out because they were "enemies" but they were actually under jap's harsh rule..
June 16th, 2006  
bulldogg

Let's make something perfectly clear. When the internment of Japanese civilians happened in the US it was after Pearl Harbor was decimated by a surprise attack. There was NOTHING between the Japanese fleet and the west coast of the US, just a handful of aircraft carriers. We did not have satelites and there was no way of knowing the next step of the Japanese. If anything the Japanese screwed up by NOT invading the US. Between Germany and the US was there was Britain and we had the Atlantic fleet intact. And as another member pointed out there were some Germans and Italians interned as well. Were there a percentage of German or Italian immigrants who were NOT ASSIMILATING into American culture on the East Coast and we had nothing in between the US and Germany and we knew that a major portion of their naval force was halfway to our coast and had just wiped out our Atlantic fleet I would be willing to bet my boys they would have been interred just as the Japanese were. People who wanna play this race card to the hilt never take the strategic and tactical realities of 1942 into account.