Senator Edwards acknowledges staff asked Wal-Mart for Playstation 3

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

http://www.timesdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061116/APF/611162631&template=printart
By MARCUS KABEL
AP Business Writer

Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards acknowledged Thursday that amid his criticism of Wal-Mart Stores Inc., a volunteer member of his staff asked the world's largest retailer for help obtaining a hot new Sony Playstation 3 for Edwards' family.

Edwards, a potential 2008 presidential candidate, told The Associated Press that the volunteer "feels terrible" about seeking the game unit at Wal-Mart while his boss claims the retailer doesn't treat its employees fairly.

"My wife, Elizabeth, wanted to get a Playstation3 for my young children. She mentioned it in front of one of my staff people. That staff person mentioned it in front of a volunteer who said he would make an effort to get one. He was making an effort to go get one for himself," Edwards said.

"Elizabeth and I knew nothing about this. He feels terrible about this. He made a mistake and he knows he should not have used my name," Edwards said.

Wal-Mart had noted in a news release Thursday that on the same day Edwards was criticizing the company in a conference call with union-backed activists, the volunteer staff member had asked a Raleigh, N.C., electronics department manager to obtain a PS3 for the ex-senator's family.

Earlier Thursday, Edwards had said in a statement e-mailed by spokeswoman Kim Rubey: "We instructed no one to contact Wal-Mart on our behalf."

From Wal-Mart headquarters in Bentonville, Ark., company spokesman David Tovar said the Edwards staff member left a voicemail at the Raleigh store and identified himself as an Edwards staff member.

When the manager returned the call, the staff member again identified himself as working for Edwards, and Wal-Mart said it confirmed it with Edwards' office. The retailer issued a written statement Thursday accusing Edwards of not wanting to wait his turn.

"While the rest of America's working families are waiting patiently in line, Sen. Edwards wants to cut to the front," the Wal-Mart statement said.

This summer, Wal-Mart hired Edelman executive Leslie Dach as its public relations director and put him on the company's executive team. Analysts predicted the retailer would likely become more aggressive toward its critics.

Edwards, the Democrats' vice-presidential candidate in 2004, spoke Wednesday to supporters of union-backed WakeUpWalMart.com on a conference call launching the group's holiday season campaign to pressure Wal-Mart for better labor standards.

In the call, he repeated a story about his son Jack disapproving of a classmate buying sneakers at Wal-Mart.

"If a 6-year-old can figure it out, America can definitely figure this out," Edwards said.

Previously, Edwards has appeared at WakeUpWalMart rallies.

Edwards said the volunteer was "a young kid" unaware of what he called flawed Wal-Mart policies. He called the Wal-Mart statement an effort to divert attention from its own problems.

In the call, he repeated a story about his son Jack disapproving of a classmate buying sneakers at Wal-Mart.

"If a 6-year-old can figure it out, America can definitely figure this out," Edwards said.

I remember a time when I would repeat everything my parent's said as the gospel truth also, I would say some... intesting things to say the least. This sounds like an opening for a Little Johnny joke, not a serious statement meant to rebuke the world's largest corporation. I bet next Edwards calls the CEO of Wal-Mart a "poopy head."

I wonder what will happen when Hillary runs for president. She and the rest of her liberal ilk have been slamming Walmart for years. Yet Hillary was running Walmart for years. The truth hurts. And Liberals lie because they hate the truth.

Believe it or not .........

Did any of you ever think that the story that started this thread might just be true? Did you consider that Edwards might NOT have been aware of what was transpiring when the young aide used his name in trying to help out his boss? I don't know whether Edwards knew or not - I can picture it going either way ... why can't the rest of you? Not ALL politicians lie ALL of the time - sometimes they do tell the truth - believe it or not.

For sure, I am not at all sure that I would trust ANYTHING that Walmart's spinmeisters would have to say about this story. Edwards HAS hurt Walmart with his stance against Walmart's policies, and Walmart would not miss a chance to smear Edwards for the slightest of reasons. Note the "This summer, Wal-Mart hired Edelman executive Leslie Dach as its public relations director and put him on the company's executive team. Analysts predicted the retailer would likely become more aggressive toward its critics" from the article. It could very well explain the tenor of the spin that has been placed on this story.

Yet if we replaced "Edwards" with "Bush" you would jump all over this story as being the reason why Bush should not be in the White House, amongst others.

This is what I disagree with, the kid isn't saying anything he believes, only what is parents have told him and he accepts it as an absolute truth, Edwards then tries to show America that it is proof Wal-Mart is evil. I suppose it is pretty easy to bash Wal-Mart for being a terrible company when you can afford to shop pret anywhere you want.

Back