Semi-OT: Performing Arch of Sabers

CDTGaticaW201

Alright, so if you don't mind me asking, I hope some of you guys will be able to help me out.

I'm the Master Councilor of my Demolay Chapter (refer to Freemasonry), and basically, whenever our sister sorority (Rainbow Girls) install their officers, we're supposed to perform an Arch of Sabers for them (Don't know how or when that started), but since there's no set instructions on performing them, it's always been a sloppy attempt by every chapter.

So here's the question, I want to instill some military precision in Demolay beyond squaring our corners (lol) when we go up to perform the Arch next week. I know each branch has their own way of doing things, but if you guys wouldn't mind, I'd really appreciate the basic commands and procedures.

Thanks!

Well, here's what I know. In the Marine Corps, there is a preparatory command and a command of execution when drawing a sword. The Preparatory command is "Draw," after which the sword carryer simultaneously grabs his scabbard to tilt it forward 45 degrees, grabs the hilt of the saber with his right hand, and pulls the sword 6-8 inches out of the scabbard(note- this does not mean that the tip of the sword is 6-8 inces away from the scabbard). Upon the command "Sword," the sword is drawn out the rest of the way and pointed 45 degrees in the air. The normal second part of the movement is to bring the sword sharply into your shoulder, but since this is an arch of sabers, the first move will do.

My guess is that you will also need a way to return the sword, so here it is. The preparatory command will be "Return." The sword carryer will simultaneously look down, grab the scabbard to tilt it forward 45 dregees, point the sword down and push it in until 6-8 inches of the sword sticks out of the scabbard. After the sword is in this position, the sword carryer will look forward. Upon the command "Sword," the carryer will smartly "slam" the sword the rest of the way into the scabbard and the carryer will return to the position of attantion. I put slam in quotes because the sword should move quite briskly, but not actually slam into the scabbard. This is how you damage swords.

:shock:...Thanks for the indepth on that, I'm definetely going to stick to your instructions on performing it. The only question I have is the actual arch itself. I've seen some pictures and instructions of the Arch where the wrist is turned clockwise to flip the cutting blade, although some pictures depict a counter clockwise turn......I've also seen pictures where they don't turn it at all and leave the cutting edge down :?:

Any enlightenment on that?

Dang, that description is comprehensive! :shock:

Okay, according to this site, the edge should be turned up. I haven't held a saber lately, but my guess is that it's easier to pronate your wrist (rotate it away from you) to get the edge facing up.

Also, I just found the Army instructions on the West Point site -- it's a PDF file. Click (or right-click and save-as) here.

Hope that helps.

Alright, we met at the Lodge last night and ran through it. Besides the guys giving me a bit of shit for my voice when I yell commands:evil:...it ran pretty smooth. For the most part, I stuck to the Marine Corps way, but then I got *redirected* and told after "Draw, Swords" to bring it up to the chin, then "Present, Swords" to arch...

So, after being enlightened by the West Point/Army way....I think I can draw a bit of a compromise. After Halting and Centerface, I'll command "Draw.....Swords," it will then be brought to the chin (like a really quick half/present arms), followed by the command to "Arch, Swords."

Now this is where I don't know what I should do....Since we are to sheath our swords before exiting, should I call "Present Swords" and then back to "Return Swords".....or just "Return, Swords?"

Edit: Gaar! :x The more I read up on procedure, the more complicated it gets...But honestly, I don't think anyone's going to care if our movements aren't to the FM by any branch as we're not anywhere near a military group. I'll be lucky if I can keep the guys in step and their facing movements decent...

I'm going to quote two "rules of combat":
1. The important things are always simple.
2. The simple things are always hard.

That said, use the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid!). Since you're not a true military organization, don't make it more complicated than you have to. Use as few commands as you can while making it look sharp.

Having read over both procedures...just stick to the procedure Silent Driller described: "Draw, Swords" and "Return, Swords". It's only two commands. And you don't need to yell, just use a firm, authoritative voice.

Good luck!

Back