Semi automatics in Line 1 & 2

Diptangshu

Hi

All you experts here,pls suggest for a best choice between M1 Carbine and Johnson,for line 1.[considering a case of moderate offensive -'43]

Thanks.:m16shoot:

Last edited:
if u r in a history forum,follow the words..before reply,or I may guess the standard of the forum ..:eek:fftopic:

Last edited:
where and in what circumstances are you planning on using these weapons... the carbine I know but the Johnson? Please clarify.

Assuming the M 1941 Johnson Rifle, it was a 30-06 rifle with an easy to top off rotary magazine. Rejected for US service because it wouldn't work with a bayonet. Probably be a better choice that the M-1 Carbine that's chambered for what is basicly a pistol cartridge in most senarios that I can think of.

Well,I was talking about early campaigns of Marine in the Pacific during '41-43.Considering there the 1st line offensive,M1[not A1] and M1941,both been served periodically.Still I want to know a few things.

Both of them were handy,had moderate muzzle velocities,could be operate both for semi/full autos and moderate to the accuracy.Do you consider that only bayonet attachment facility could be the thing of choice between them?Was bayonet a must for such campaign for 1st line offensive?

What I know for Johnson[M1941],it was handy,more accurate and had a good stopping power,only rejected because its barrel could not withstand on heavy bayonet charging.
M1 Carbine both used in Europe and in Pacific by the both US Army and Marine Corps.

To me it seems you are trying to compare two totally different weapons, it's like trying to compare in vehicular terms an old step through motor cycle with an out dated light truck.

They were designed for totally different uses, and have almost no features in common that you can sensibly compare.

To me it seems you are trying to compare two totally different weapons, it's like trying to compare in vehicular terms an old step through motor cycle with an out dated light truck.

They were designed for totally different uses, and have almost no features in common that you can sensibly compare.
yeah, Johnson was a battle rifle, the M-1 Carbine wasn't really intended for frontline use, just easier to get hits with than a pistol. Johnson pissed off the Brass so badly they rejected the Johnson Light Machine Gun( Actually an Automitic Rifle like the BAR) that was better than the BAR, just because he was so persistant in trying to get his Rifle adopted, a real shame.

As per the discussion,its clear that neither M1 nor Johnson been recommended for 1st Line offensive,say for a daylight engagement within 200 yrds. Probably not good for regular troops,provided would have been better for self protection or for the sentries,cooks,drivers,signal men etc.and may be used in 2nd Line.

During War 2['42-'43]but these had been produced by good numbers and handed over[obviously better and effective variants been developed to replace those guns].

What a Plat.Comdr would do[he informed that the enemy equipped with rifles and semi-autos only] if he had to engage his men for a moderate offensive in daylight,say for a range of 150-200 yrds around a firm-house, where he had no opt other than the available guns like M1-Carbine,Thompson,M 1941 or M1 Garand?[assuming he had opts]

Do you consider it as an impossible situation that never happened in the Theater ? Which pair he would have taken for his 1st Line?

Last edited:
Back