Self Production...Good or Bad?

--

June 15th, 2005  
SHERMAN

Topic: Self Production...Good or Bad?

It seems that more and more countries decide to self produce military hardware. Countrys like Brazil, South Africa, South Korea, India and others make their own light and heavy weapons. This has advantages like self reliance, high regard to the specific needs of that countys armed forces, and more. It is however usually more expensive(since these countries usually need relatively small ammounts and do not export), and is sometimes more a result of politics than true needs.

What do you think of this issue?
June 15th, 2005  
Whispering Death

For major powers like America, USSR, Nazi Germany, the bennifits are obvious. However, I think smaller powers, especially like S.Korea would do much better importing most of their weapons than making them themselves. Obviously not all foreign weapons suit the needs of the smaller powers and some need to be created internally, I think the Merkava IV tank is an excellent example of where a foreign tank design doesn't fit the needs of a smaller power.
June 15th, 2005  
SHERMAN

Actually the Merkava is very good, but also much more expensive and slow to produce than buying M1 from the USA....
--
June 16th, 2005  
AlexKall

Maybe its good to take the middle road, cooperation, has many benefits. Sawpping knowlage and ideas!
June 16th, 2005  
PershingOfLSU

One big advantage of home producing equipment is that it can be tailored to fit your needs. For example Israel places a very high priority on conserving manpower. The Merkava is easily the most battle proof tank in the world not to mention that the ability to double as an APC to further protect not only the tank's crew but infantry as well.

While the Hyundai K1 produced by South Korea is not only cheaper then the Abrams, but it's specifically created for mountain combat. It's gun can be greatly depressed to fire down a slope and its small size allows it to better navigate through the terrain of Korea.

Of course in some situations weaponry is home grown just to bolster the local economy. However that isn't always the case.
June 17th, 2005  
Whispering Death

That's what I mean Pershing. I'd take an M1 over a Merkava any day for the US Army but I think the Merkavas are much better suited to the types of operations that the Israelis carry out. So the Merkava would be a good example of how domestic production can be a bennifit. I think a bad example would be... oh, any weapon France has ever produced... ever.
June 17th, 2005  
bulldogg

Self production is a good thing in my opinion for a few reasons.

One, if you self-produce you are not subject to terms and conditions of the government of the supplier. No one can dictate to you your internal affairs, foreign policy, use of weapons etc.

Two, if you self produce you alone are the sole repositor of that weapons true capabilities and design features. Whereas a foe might be using a mass produced weapon sold by Rumsfeld Inc. and everyone knows whats its stregnths and weaknesses are. If you have a wild card it can make all the difference in a battle.

Three, competition is good. It drives mfg's in the US to strive to improve their death machines and lower prices in order to compete hence a further hollowing out of the American industrial base. Nothing personal guys. 8)
June 17th, 2005  
Whispering Death

suck my XM-8 :P
June 19th, 2005  
bulldogg

Designation X means what? Experimental. How much money was spent on a weapon that even in its best trials cannot compete with the USMC's old M-14? $9,000,000.00 in FY 2002 alone. How many homeless people would that feed? How many landmines would that have removed from Afghanistan? American industry has been hollowed out to the point where the US of A is the world's arms dealer. And when taken with a $7,800,000,000,000.00 government debt and personal debt ratios of the population show that fully one third are so far in debt that they cannot recover without bankruptcy you have what amounts to one huge pawnshop. Its wasteful.

The M-14 is more accurate, costs less, more deadly and more useful in hand to hand combat. Why does the government keep developing weapons? Improving on things that are better than the damn improvement? Instead of bragging about being the first country to make George Lucas's fantasy weapons come to life while millions of American children live in poverty, perhaps the populace of the USA should stop and consider the facts and ignore the hypeof governmental press releases.
IMHO.
June 19th, 2005  
PershingOfLSU

Ah yes, Nauru. A perfect example of a fiscally sound country. With a meager 90% unemployment, and government expenditures greater than the country's gross domestic product.