Seems someone is attempting to restore a Walrus

She was obsolete when WW2 began, but she did her job and did it well, like the Fairey Swordfish.

Its brilliant to see such iconic aeroplanes being rebuilt up to flyng condition. I would love to see a Wellignton, Mosquito and Halifax among others rebuilt

Last edited:
She was obsolete when WW2 began, but she did her job and did it well, like the Fairey Swordfish.

Its brilliant to see such iconic aeroplanes being rebuilt up to flyng condition. I would love to see a Wellignton, Mosquito and Halifax among others rebuilt

The Walrus was the first model I ever built, followed by a Fairey Swordfish and then HMS Cossack.

Are you still building models?

I haven't for a long time, the last "model" I built was an RC model of the Prinz Eugen for my high school senior project.
I have thought about taking it up again as a hobby but the time had never been right and the kids have different interests.

I haven't for a long time, the last "model" I built was an RC model of the Prinz Eugen for my high school senior project.
I have thought about taking it up again as a hobby but the time had never been right and the kids have different interests.

It's pretty cool hobby. I have been thinking about picking it up. But I lack the time for doing it. I was building a few Russian armor models in the 90s.

I have been watching a guy on YouTube. Andy Hobby Headquarters, he builds a lot of WWII German tanks

It's pretty cool hobby. I have been thinking about picking it up. But I lack the time for doing it. I was building a few Russian armor models in the 90s.

I have been watching a guy on YouTube. Andy Hobby Headquarters, he builds a lot of WWII German tanks

Yeah, but it requires a lot of space and time.
I have seen a number of interesting models that have been adapted to show destruction, there was one with a U-boat hit by depth charges, it interested me.
I built a number of German half track combinations but I think if I was to do it again I would head down the warships path.

Had a look at this thing today, giving some thought to doing something like is as a project with the kids.

https://hobbystation.co.nz/tamiya-1-350-german-battleship-bismarck-plastic-model-kit-78013/
Best part is that both the Bismarck and the Tirpitz are available in the same scale.

Had a look at this thing today, giving some thought to doing something like is as a project with the kids.

https://hobbystation.co.nz/tamiya-1-350-german-battleship-bismarck-plastic-model-kit-78013/
Best part is that both the Bismarck and the Tirpitz are available in the same scale.

How old are your kids? It might end with you are building it and they do something else when they get bored.

I have been looking at online stores selling models. Unfortunately, I don't have any hobby store close to where I live. I should prefer to buy these things at a physical store when I am not used with these things and need a little guidance from somebody who knows what I need and tips to make it easier.

How old are your kids? It might end with you are building it and they do something else when they get bored.

I have been looking at online stores selling models. Unfortunately, I don't have any hobby store close to where I live. I should prefer to buy these things at a physical store when I am not used with these things and need a little guidance from somebody who knows what I need and tips to make it easier.

They are 11 and 8, the oldest has an engineering aptitude and is interested in building these things and will stick with it, the youngest just wants to do what his brother is doing.

There are a number of websites that review these model kits which may be able to provide some information on what to buy.

Back