Seems President Bush fails America again....

Gator

U of B and B Alumnus
... this time at the Border.

Report critical of Bush immigration record

Story Highlights

• Third Way official: "Decline in immigration enforcement has been steady"
• Centrist group: Arrests, deportations down almost 30 percent since Clinton years
• Study says it would take 100-plus years to deport all illegal immigrants in U.S.
• Report: Enforcement efforts target immigrants but fail to punish employers

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Immigration arrests under President Bush are "stagnant and unimpressive" despite massive increases in Border Patrol agents and other immigration enforcement measures imposed since 2000, a report found.
Bush promoted border enforcement successes this week while pushing Congress for a comprehensive immigration policy overhaul. But the centrist private group Third Way questioned his record in a study released Thursday. It found that arrests and deportations are down almost 30 percent since the Clinton years.
"The decline in immigration enforcement has been steady, dramatic and long-standing," said Jim Kessler, the group's vice president for policy and a co-author of the report. "This may not be the cause of our illegal immigration crisis, but it has certainly contributed to it."

Like Bush, the group argues for a comprehensive immigration bill, including sealed borders, increased law enforcement and a path to citizenship for the 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States today. Such a bill is being debated in the Senate. Bush supports it.
At a news conference Thursday, Bush defended his record.
"There's going to be a doubling of the Border Patrol agents; there's going to be fencing and berms and different types of equipment to help the Border Patrol do its job in a better way," he said.
According to the study, however, it would take more than 100 years to deport all the illegal immigrants in the United States at the current rate of arrests, assuming the flow of migrants across the border completely stopped.
The report suggests part of the reason is that after September 11, 2001, the Border Patrol was assigned to guard against terrorists as well as illegal migrants. It also points out that enforcement efforts have targeted immigrants but largely failed to punish the employers who hire them.

Among the report's findings:

• Apprehensions on the Southwest border have declined by 350,000 per year, almost 30 percent from the Clinton years.

• The number of deportable aliens found at the northern border and border locations other than the Southwest has dropped by almost 40 percent.

• Although the number of immigration-related arrests at the workplace has risen each year since 2003, 84 percent of those are workers rather than employers.
There is no realistic chance of solving the immigration crisis without a comprehensive new immigration policy, the report concludes.

Link http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/25/immigration.enforcement.ap/index.html

Leaves me to wonder just how many Terrorists President Bush has allowed to enter the United States of America because of his less than stellar Border Enforcement record.

You say: Seems President Bush fails American again....

I hear: Gator sticks foot in mouth again....

Leaves me to wonder just how many Terrorists President Bush has allowed to enter the United States of America because of his less than stellar Border Enforcement record.

And just how did the 19 hijackers on 9/11 enter the United States? Did they book it over the Mexican border? Sneak in over the Canadian border? Perhaps they were inserted in the dead of night by boats rented from Canadian ports/resorts on the Great Lakes. Or did they all enter legally because they knew how to file the paperwork?

You say: Seems President Bush fails American again....

I hear: Gator sticks foot in mouth again....

And just how did the 19 hijackers on 9/11 enter the United States? Did they book it over the Mexican border? Sneak in over the Canadian border? Perhaps they were inserted in the dead of night by boats rented from Canadian ports/resorts on the Great Lakes. Or did they all enter legally because they knew how to file the paperwork?

I do not understand why it is I do not have you on Ignore already, I'll fix that now though.

Have a nice life.

Welcome to the ever expanding club Damien. You are member #15. When Gator logs on, the threads he sees are almost blank nowdays. :lol:

Welcome to the ever expanding club Damien. You are member #15. When Gator logs on, the threads he sees are almost blank nowdays. :lol:

Alright! I guess I joined the Cool Kid's Club about a month ago! Seriously though, I consider it a blessing. It's like that feeling you have when that cancerous tumor is removed, and you don't have to deal with it again. :smile:

Well, don't feel bad Gator. I agree with ya. Whoever believes a terrorist attack hasn't happened again because Bush hasn't "allowed" it to happen is delusional. Another attack could happen at any moment, and we are woefully ill-prepared. There's no way to stop determined terrorists with our current technology.

I do not understand why it is I do not have you on Ignore already, I'll fix that now though.

Have a nice life.

Ah yes, that's a great way to open yourself up to new horizons, completely ignore all those whose views on everything don't line up so neatly with your own.

Hey now, I'm a left-leaning libertarian and I don't block everyone... I just listen, disagree, and talk about something else. Pretty much all you can do on these boards considering our demographics.

I really don't understand Bush's policy on immigration, though. Just put some machinegun nests across the border at even intervals and put up signs saying "Cross and die. Fo serious this time."

I agree with a lot of the President's policies, especially plotting a course and having the backbone to follow it through. But, I don't agree with his border enforcement policy. Illegal is illegal no matter where the criminal is coming from.

The problem with the border has been a problem since we moved west of the Mississippi. To lay it on the current POTUS doorstep is bollocks. It is the same dynamic as the war on drugs... how do you stop the supply when the demand is out of control? Its an impossible task that cannot be solved by sealing a border like a ziplock baggie. As long as Mexico is a third world cess pool there will be a problem with our southern border no matter how high or complete the fence is. The human mind is infinite in its ability to overcome any obstacle mental or physical that is contravening the desires of that individual. All this political b******t of blaming President Bush for the illegal alien problem is so unbelievably retarded. If you want to fix the problem with illegals and the Mexican border then you have to fix Mexico.

I agree with a lot of the President's policies, especially plotting a course and having the backbone to follow it through. But, I don't agree with his border enforcement policy. Illegal is illegal no matter where the criminal is coming from.

Democrats need voters and those coming to the US illegally from Mexico are future Democratic party voters and Bush or GOP can not solve this problem single handedly as well.

Actually thats not 100% true. In fact those that came legally were on Student Visas, but they had expired 6 months before 9-11. So they were illegally in the country. Why INS didn't follow up on them, knowing that they were still in the country is a good question.

Its very hard to stop people from into the country both legally and illegally, at least 1 or 2 of the 9-11 terrorists were on terrorism watch lists and they still managed to get in.

As much as I despise Bush, I cannot fault him for that, although Gator point is valid, the president has done little to resolve our porus Borders SINCE 9-11. We might remember Kerry complaints that the Docks are not checked during the 2004 election. Bush even recognized that the docks were weakly screened. Had anything been done to fix the problem? No.

The truly laughable thing about this immigration bill was that it was tried before under Reagan in the 1980s. The result was a massive influx of new illegals. Even the most die-hard of Reaganites will admit that this policy was a failure, so why is Bush trying to repeat history?

Answer: He doesn't really want to end illegal immigration because big Business likes the idea of exploiting desperate people with minimal wages.

Bulldogg

And yet, most of those blaming Bush about immigration are in fact other Republicans. The Dems have the advantage of being able to (wisely) duck this hot button issue.

Last edited:
Since the Anole who started this thread brought it up I will offer this bit of info in the 9/11 blame game...

1. Clinton Aide Forfeits Law License

Clinton White House National Security Adviser Samuel Berger, who was convicted of taking classified terrorism documents from the National Archives, has agreed to surrender his license to practice law.

In a written statement issued by his attorney, Larry Breuer, Berger, 61, said: "I have decided to voluntarily relinquish my license. While I derived great satisfaction from years of practicing law, I have not done so for 15 years and do not envision returning to the profession. I am very sorry for what I did, and I deeply apologize."

Berger, national security adviser from 1997 to 2001, was convicted of removing documents from the Archives in 2005 while preparing to testify before the 9/11 Commission.

He was fined $50,000 and sentenced to 100 hours of community service, the Washington Times reported.

The documents taken by Berger pertained to a terrorist assessment from 2000, before George W. Bush was sworn in as president. Specifically, they dealt with a report detailing the Clinton administration's response to so-called millennium terrorist threats — a highly secret assessment that was, according to some reports, less than stellar.

The report was compiled by Richard Clarke, the same counterterrorism czar under Clinton and President Bush who criticized the latter's handling of intelligence prior to 9/11.

Byron York, White House correspondent for the National Review, wrote: "Clarke apparently concluded that the millennium plot was foiled by luck — a border agent in Washington state who happened to notice a nervous, sweating man who turned out to have explosives in his car — and not by the Clinton administration's savvy anti-terrorism work."

By giving up his law license, Berger avoids being cross-examined by the Board on Bar Counsel and possibly disclosing further details of his theft.
http://www.newsmax.com/ir.shtml?s=0

Back