Seeking Advice/Army SF

Road_Less_Taken

Hello,

I'm hoping to get some advice on the following matter:

I'm giving serious consideration to pursuing a military career at this time. One of the options that particularly interests me is the Army SF (I have spoken with the local recruiter to make sure I meet the basic qualifications). The most direct route of entry from civilian life is the 18X program, though this only allows entry as an enlisted man.

I have just recently completed an advanced academic degree and have full or partial fluency in several foreign languages (as well as other skills which may, or may not be, relevant). I have spoken with everyone I know who was in the military, and they all tell me the same thing - if at all possible, I should enter as an officer.

One such acquaintance, a former Vietnam-era Green Beret, suggested I look into the possibility of going directly to OCS or even a direct commission. Since SF is so different from other military occupations, he suggested I could fill in many of the gaps in my training during the SFQC (after boot camp and airborne training).

Finally, entering as an officer would give me more options in case I didn't make the cut in the SFQC (anyone know what the failure rate is, by any chance?). The downside to this approach, so far as I can tell, is that it does not guarantee a slot in the Q course.

So, I was hoping that some of you gentlemen might be able to advise me how best to go about this: how could I enter as an officer, without screwing with my chances of getting a slot in the SFQC, that would otherwise be guaranteed (by going 18X)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Road_Less_Taken said:
The most direct route of entry from civilian life is the 18X program, though this only allows entry as an enlisted man.

I have just recently completed an advanced academic degree and have full or partial fluency in several foreign languages (as well as other skills which may, or may not be, relevant). I have spoken with everyone I know who was in the military, and they all tell me the same thing - if at all possible, I should enter as an officer.

What do you want to do? Stay on the teams (provided you actually make it past SFAS) for several years, or operate for 18 months and then take a staff position?

One such acquaintance, a former Vietnam-era Green Beret
Quick lesson, never "green beret," those are hats. SF soldier will do.

Since SF is so different from other military occupations, he suggested I could fill in many of the gaps in my training during the SFQC (after boot camp and airborne training).

SFQC will not fill in gaps, it will train you, completely. Unless you've had time in another SOF unit with a smiliar mission, there won't be anything there to have gaps.

Finally, entering as an officer would give me more options in case I didn't make the cut in the SFQC (anyone know what the failure rate is, by any chance?).

Firstly, you have less options as an officer as you do on the enlisted side. Secondly, if you are already worried about not making "the cut," and are concered about the failure rate, you have already failed. Conviction and mental determination are what count most during training.

The downside to this approach, so far as I can tell, is that it does not guarantee a slot in the Q course.

Neither does 18X. Nowhere in an 18X contract does it say you are guaranteed a slot at the SFQC. You have to earn it. Most do not make it past SFAS before they are sent down to the 82nd Abn Div. If you do a search on SFAS/SFQC in this forum, you will find a post that outlines the 18X pipeline.

how could I enter as an officer, without screwing with my chances of getting a slot in the SFQC, that would otherwise be guaranteed (by going 18X)?

You cannot. If you want to be a US Army officer, then by all means, become one, but do not bank on branching SF. You should be willing to accept any fate the Army wishes upon you. If you want to be SF, enlist and look at officer options later down the road, if you make it to an ODA.

On the enlisted side, you can always choose to go green to gold later on, by the way.

Ultimately, it is up to you.

Any other questions you have, feel free to ask if they haven't already been covered.

Good luck.

Thank you for the information.

At the risk of sounding dense, what is the point of 18X then, if it does not guarantee a SFQC slot? Without that, it is no different from regular enlistment, so far as I can tell.

Also, from browsing other related posts, I get the impression that someone in any military occupation is, at least theoretically, eligible for a slot in the SFQC. If this is true, on what basis do the powers that be decide who actually gets a slot? Is it simply a matter of waiting your turn, or are there other considerations as well?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

If you go regular Enlistment, I believe the rank requirement is E-4? E-5? With 18-X, you bypass it.

Road_Less_Taken said:
At the risk of sounding dense, what is the point of 18X then, if it does not guarantee a SFQC slot? Without that, it is no different from regular enlistment, so far as I can tell.

What an 18X contract guarantees you is a chance. That's it. SF is not a place for guarantees, you have to earn everything you get. There are various steps and stages to your initial enlistment, and at any point, you could fail, meaning you would not attend the SFQC. The Q course should be the farthest thing from your mind right now, but SFAS (Special Forces Selection and Assessment) should be at the forefront. This is where the majority of SF wannabes are weeded out.

18X Pipeline Thread

Click that link, I have already written the pipeline for an 18Xer.

With 18X, you will come in as an E-3 and, you'll get to your SF group as an E-5.

Also, from browsing other related posts, I get the impression that someone in any military occupation is, at least theoretically, eligible for a slot in the SFQC. If this is true, on what basis do the powers that be decide who actually gets a slot? Is it simply a matter of waiting your turn, or are there other considerations as well?

No. No one is eligible for a slot at the Q course unless they earn it. Period. (Look at the pipeline, the Q comes last.) They will look at your service, your peer evaluations, they want to see what type of soldier you've been, essentially. Your experience will not matter too much, for officers, prior enlisted experience is a plus but not a requirement. You also do not have to be in combat arms to be considered, I have seen ordnance officers branch SF.

Putting in a packet is a little more complicated (for enlisted and officers) than simply signing an 18X contract. Essentially, you will be applying for a job consideration. The wait times are longer as you have to be released from your unit. Enlisted and officer usually wait 12 weeks from acceptance to attend SFAS (as temporary duty only). Sent back to their home unit and wait around 40 weeks to PCS (permanent change of station) to attend the SFQC (add three weeks to that if you're not already Abn qual'd.) However, going this way, you already have military experience and will not be green at the gate.

As an officer, if you were to make it to an SF group, you would only be on an ODA for around 18 months.

If you enlist, make it to an SF group and later decide you want to become an officer - you have to start all over once you're commissioned. Meaning you willl go back to big Army, serve as a PL for a bit, put in a packet once you're a 1LT(p) .. go through SFAS and the SFQC all over again.

Make sure you are 200% certain of what you want before you sign anything.

pogue said:
If you go regular Enlistment, I believe the rank requirement is E-4? E-5? With 18-X, you bypass it.

E-4 - E-6 <14 years
[/url]

Back