Security Clearance

Vitaly

I am worried about getting a security clearance for the Army since my MOS is to be determined, and most MOSs that I am looking at as possibilities need a Secret clearance. My problem is that my father just got his citizenship, which makes me a citizen also, and the fact that we travel a lot in Europe and Russia. Since we just got citizenship we always traveled on our Russian passports. Is any of this going to be a problem for me getting the clearance that I may need? Also I do not currently have my certificate of citizenship for another couple of months, which leads me to another question; Should I sign up before I get it since it only verifies my status that I aquired automatically from my father or should I wait?

I am not pretending to know about any of your post. Have you spoken to a recruiter yet??? If not I think you should start there. I know from breezing around these forums I have seen this subject before. But I cant intelligently answer you. Just some advice :D

ArmyMom

Ya just talk to your recruiter and they will set it straight for you. The guys and gals there help you a lot so just give them a call.

I definetly did talk to them, and all they said was yeah no problem we'll take care of it. That was said in a half-hearted way and I want reassurance.

Didn't you say you were going infantry? I wouldn't worry about a security clearance as a private in the infantry. It would be quite awhile before you'd have any need for anything beyond the very basic levels and there's no problem even for a non-citizen to meet those. By the time any need for a secret or above clearance would be needed for you you'll be well able to meet the requirements.

Charge_7 said:
Didn't you say you were going infantry? I wouldn't worry about a security clearance as a private in the infantry. It would be quite awhile before you'd have any need for anything beyond the very basic levels and there's no problem even for a non-citizen to meet those. By the time any need for a secret or above clearance would be needed for you you'll be well able to meet the requirements.

Yeah, I am 90 percent sure on infantry, but at the time of posting i was think doing something language related, as in using my fluencey in Russian. But, thanks a lot for the info.

If you go into translation it could very well be that a secret or top secret clearance would be required, but like I said, there will be plenty of time for your citizenship and any background checks to be made before you get to that point. I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you and don't read too much into the recruiter's reaction. More likely as not, it was unconcern you were mistaking for something else.

The other thing I was thinking about was traveling outside the country back to Russia once more before I ship. Should I be worried about this causing problems for me later?

Charge_7 said:
I shouldn't think it would be of any concern before you're in.

Yeah, you are most likely right. Good thing too since I want to say good bye to all my friends before I go in.

Back