Secular professors under fire in Iran

Missileer

And the monster awakens.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14676069/

Iran's leader calls for purge of liberal professors

Ahmadinejad says 'change has begun' to staffing in country's universities

TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad called Tuesday for a purge of liberal and secular teachers from the country's universities, the official Islamic Republic News Agency reported in another step back to 1980s-style radicalism.

"Today, students should shout at the president and ask why liberal and secular university lecturers are present in the universities," the agency quoted Ahmadinejad as saying during a meeting with a group of students.
Ahmadinejad complained that changes in the country's universities were difficult to accomplish and that the country's educational system had been affected by secularism for the last 150 years, but said "such a change has begun."

Earlier this year, Iran retired dozens of liberal university professors and teachers. And last November, Ahmadinejad's administration for the first time named a cleric to head the country's oldest university in Tehran amid protests by students over the appointment.

The developments followed a campaign promise by Ahmadinejad for a more Islamic-oriented country. He took office last August.
Since then, Ahmadinejad also has been replacing pragmatic veterans in the government with former military commanders and inexperienced religious hard-liners.

Ahmadinejad's aim appears to be to install a new generation of rulers who will revive the fundamentalist goals pursued in the 1980s under the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, father of the 1979 Islamic revolution in Iran.
In the early 1980s, shortly after the revolution, Iran sacked hundreds of liberal and leftist university teachers and students.

Actually I think this is Good news and before somebody goes on a hissy fit let me explain why.

Iran has a very large and vocal pro-democracy crowd. These people dont like the US, but they really hate the fundimentalists. It is my solumn belief that like Afganistan, they only way these Shiite Mullahs and their puppet president will ever give up power is by force. It would be preferable that this coup be orchestrated from within Iran (or at least if there is foreign interferance that it be completely invisable).

So let them bring back their medival laws, let them oppress freedom, let them do things like ban art, music, secular education, sports, and all the other enjoyments of life and return them back to the not-so-peaceful days of the 13th Century, just like the Taliban did. In other words, let them become as hated as the Taliban were by their citizens.

The anti-American, anti-Isreali, pro-Islam sideshow will buy them some time, political distractions only buys time it doesnt make problems go away.

Last edited:
What about Khomeinei? If he's still around then he could possibly hold the country together no matter what. I think Iran won't be overthrown since the current regime is well entrenched and has tight control for now, but they probably will make concessions over time in order not to have a popular uprising, again.

The shah was ousted because the iranians were tired of his oppressive ways and secret police force that arrested dissidents. That and his government was fairly corrupt. The theocratic regime would be utterly stupid to not realize that they would make the same mistakes and would probably end up the same way as the shah. Hopefully if that does happen, the new power would be more sane and care more about its citizens than about destroying other nations.

What about Khomeinei? If he's still around then he could possibly hold the country together no matter what. I think Iran won't be overthrown since the current regime is well entrenched and has tight control for now, but they probably will make concessions over time in order not to have a popular uprising, again.

The shah was ousted because the iranians were tired of his oppressive ways and secret police force that arrested dissidents. That and his government was fairly corrupt. The theocratic regime would be utterly stupid to not realize that they would make the same mistakes and would probably end up the same way as the shah. Hopefully if that does happen, the new power would be more sane and care more about its citizens than about destroying other nations.
Sorry to burst your bubble guy, but Khomeini's been dead since 1989.

Hehe,WarMachine, one own goal!

In ShangHai Film Festivals every year, there are some films show from Iran. It is the only channel that I can get to know Iran. Not bad, my first impression, but poor, their villages are just very like some western ones in China.

Last edited:
Iran has a very large and vocal pro-democracy crowd. These people dont like the US, but they really hate the fundimentalists.

Speak for yourself Mister... Iran has the largest pro-Bush / pro-America people of the middle east, if not the world.

Speak for yourself...

So let them bring back their medival laws, let them oppress freedom, let them do things like ban art, music, secular education, sports, and all the other enjoyments of life and return them back to the not-so-peaceful days of the 13th Century, just like the Taliban did. In other words, let them become as hated as the Taliban were by their citizens.

Again more Bravo Sierra. So it is okay for you leftists that some people become oppressed and tortured as long as they dont offend you. Shame on left... Shame!

Speak for yourself Mister... Iran has the largest pro-Bush / pro-America people of the middle east, if not the world.

Speak for yourself...

Are you serious?! One would not think so after seeing those fiery demonstrations in Iran on TV... Then again it is TV... I'd be greatly indebted to you if you scrounged up some links, pics, videos, etc. of the masses in Iran being not anti-America. 8)

Are you serious?! One would not think so after seeing those fiery demonstrations in Iran on TV... Then again it is TV... I'd be greatly indebted to you if you scrounged up some links, pics, videos, etc. of the masses in Iran being not anti-America. 8)

Serious? I come from that place. I have spent almost my entire life there.

dude, do you believe whatever you see on C-B.S or ABC or Communists' News Network CNN?

Read this

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/01/AR2006090100511.html

The bottom line is that the Iranian people love America, and they do not like Ahmadinejad.

More:

Everywhere I went -- from the traffic-choked streets of Tehran in the north to the dusty desert town of Yazd in central Iran, to the elegant cultural centers of Isfahan and Shiraz -- I was overwhelmed by the warmth and, dare I say it, pro-Americanism of the people I met.​

While much of the rest of the world seems to be holding their collective noses at us Americans, in Iran people were literally crossing the road to shake an American's hand and say hello. Who knew?​

Initially, when Iranians asked me where I was from, I'd suggest they guess. But this game quickly proved too time-consuming -- no one ever guessed correctly. So instead I would simply mumble "American." And then their faces would light up. For better or worse, Iranians are avid fans of America: its culture, films, food, music, its open, free-wheeling society. READ MORE

Last edited by a moderator:

I think he means Khatami, the more moderate ex-president from 1997-2004. Khomeini was the extreme far right was the guy that lead the Iranian revolution in 1979.

To answer, it won't happen. The Mullahs never liked Khatemi as he wasnt a strict fundimentalist and he didnt take orders from them, unlike their current lap dog whose both. Khatemi was a reformist and right now the Mullahs seem even more determined to exclude every moderate out of the public sector. Khatemi recently visited the U.S, the only Iranian Head of State to visit the US since the Shah was overthrown. You can just imagine what the Mullahs thought of him visiting 'the Great Satan'.

Luckily for the Mullahs, they didnt have to worry, Bush once again screwed up that opportunity by ignoring Khatemi visit, letting an unique opportunity to open a diplomatic channal slip by. Appearently, Iran isn't the only country with a fundimentalist government.

But back to topic, As I said, this is a good thing, the more they try and tighten their grip on power the quicker it slips out of their hand.

Serious? I come from that place. I have spent almost my entire life there.

dude, do you believe whatever you see on C-B.S or ABC or Communists' News Network CNN?

Read this

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/01/AR2006090100511.html

The bottom line is that the Iranian people love America, and they do not like Ahmadinejad.

More:
Everywhere I went -- from the traffic-choked streets of Tehran in the north to the dusty desert town of Yazd in central Iran, to the elegant cultural centers of Isfahan and Shiraz -- I was overwhelmed by the warmth and, dare I say it, pro-Americanism of the people I met.​
While much of the rest of the world seems to be holding their collective noses at us Americans, in Iran people were literally crossing the road to shake an American's hand and say hello. Who knew?​
Initially, when Iranians asked me where I was from, I'd suggest they guess. But this game quickly proved too time-consuming -- no one ever guessed correctly. So instead I would simply mumble "American." And then their faces would light up. For better or worse, Iranians are avid fans of America: its culture, films, food, music, its open, free-wheeling society. READ MORE

Nice! Thanks for the great website. I can only hope regime change (for the better) in Iran does take place sometime in my lifetime. It would be nice to add an exceptional influential Middle Eastern country to my list "Countries to Visit Before I Die."

I meant the current ayatollah khamenei, it's not my fault their names are so similar, i just messed up on a vowel.

But it's not surprising to see so much of the country not wanting to help the arabs. It's not lile Iran has money to burn like the UAE, iranians need that money that's going over to other countries so that they can help themselves. Ahmendinejad isn't looking ahead at where his strategy is going, if anything he's breeding more resentment for the government because of his repressive actions.

The one thing Iran and the US have in common is that the majority of people in those countries are dissatisfied with what their governments has been doing in terms of foreign and domestic policies.

Nice! Thanks for the great website. I can only hope regime change (for the better) in Iran does take place sometime in my lifetime. It would be nice to add an exceptional influential Middle Eastern country to my list "Countries to Visit Before I Die."

Sure... every human being deserves to be free

Let me know about your trip to Iran and I will arrange you places to stay for free.

Last edited:
Sure... every human being deserves to be free

Let me know about your trip to Iran and I will arrange you places to stay for free.

Let's worry about a free Iran first. As for my future places to stay over there, to be perfectly honest, I'm looking for some excellent cuisine. Seriously, people visit other countries to see the sights or whatever, I go for the food. You could put me up at a shack next door to the best restaurant in the country and I'd be overjoyed. :cheers:

Let's worry about a free Iran first. As for my future places to stay over there, to be perfectly honest, I'm looking for some excellent cuisine. Seriously, people visit other countries to see the sights or whatever, I go for the food. You could put me up at a shack next door to the best restaurant in the country and I'd be overjoyed. :cheers:

You'll love the Persian foods. dont worry...

do you know any persian restaurants in the city you live in or any where near your area of residence?

You'll love the Persian foods. dont worry...

do you know any persian restaurants in the city you live in or any where near your area of residence?

None whatsoever! Surprising since California is arguably the most diverse state in the US. Maybe I pass through some but may not notice or recognize them as Persian. I eat a lot of Indian curry though... Well, I eat a lot of curry in general. :p

I meant the current ayatollah khamenei, it's not my fault their names are so similar, i just messed up on a vowel.
It's not your fault how they spell their names but you have the responsibility to post accurate information if you expect people to understand exactly what you're saying.
Thank you for clearing it up though.

Back