Secret Security Clearance: I need some advice ASAP

TBLightningFan

I recently decided to join the Air Force; I took the ASVAB, did the physical, swore in once, and signed my contract twice. I'm locked and loaded and ready to go; I'm just waiting for a job to open up for me (DEP). Right now the only job that I was interested in (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape Operations aka SERE) doesn't open up until October. I really wanted to get to basic a couple months before then, but this job looks much too tempting to pass up; I might just say forget it to being on the "move up list."

I have read that to be in SERE you need to have a "Secret Security Clearance." Most of you probably know what that is, but for those who don't, it reqires an extensive background check (from what I've read)Here's where my question/problem begins. When signing up my recruiter embedded in my head that "Yes means opportunities and No means none." I'm sure most may know where this is going already.

I'm stuck in a rut right now and I'm really not sure what to do. I said on my medical questionaire that I had never been to a counselor, psychologist, etc within the past 5 years; yet I have actually been to 2 (both within a span of approx. 6 months), 2 or 3 years ago. It wasn't for a divorce or death, which I know are exceptions. From what I've read, the service that conducts the background check can gain access to your medical records. This is what worries me.

I don't like to lie, but I want to believe that what they don't know won't hurt them. I'm certainly not a headcase, and I don't want 6 visits to a psychologist to effect my future in the Air Force. That said, I also don't wanna sit in military prison for 5 years or pay $10,000 for it either.

I came to this forum because I believe your advice will help me better make my decision. Thank you in advance.

Go with your instincts bud, what the guy is telling you to do is to shake with your left hand. It's not ethical, moral or legal. But if you want to get into the military that bad, then go for it. We all had some sort of skeletons in our closets, some were more of an impact than others, but not everybody can be a friggin' eagle scout, soup-kitchen volunteer, help-old-ladies-cross-the-road type.

They won't make you pay a $10,000 fine or imprison you. They have nothing to gain by it, how many people do you think have gone ahead before you like this? I am not telling you to lie, I'm not telling you to not lie. I don't know you. Do what you feel is right.

Keep in mind though, your first impression is probably the most accurate. Trust your insticts, trust yourself.

Back