Second World War tank and anti-aircraft gun found in basement

Yes they used camo for the most part. But in the winter they sometimes used a polar camo of sorts at least in the later stages of the war.

The late Peter Ustinov, a British actor, told a story on a late night television show:
Shortly after WWII, Ustinov was in Italy where a war film was being produced. A man showed up on the set, a man obviously a Prussian - type former German officer.
He explained that he had items of former German military equipment that he was willing to rent to the film company.
He had a half-track. an 88mm anti-aircraft gun and complete uniforms and small arms for the crew.
It seems that toward the end of the war, this man could see how things were going. He knew Germany was going to lose the war and he also knew that films about the war would be made for decades. He had the foresight to cache the previously mentioned items, and wait for the film makers to come to him.

I thought we just used T-55s and M3 Half-tracks these days.
Nothing like watching Tom Hanks scream "Tigers" as a T-55 passes by belching diesel smoke and smartly dressed German troops in their M3's drive sedately down the middle of the road.

Nothing like watching Tom Hanks scream "Tigers" as a T-55 passes by belching diesel smoke and smartly dressed German troops in their M3's drive sedately down the middle of the road.
Maybe they can rent the "Tiger" those Russian guys were building...

Yes it just amazes me that even the Germans managed to make their Panthers to look like M-10s with very few resources yet Hollywood cant be stuffed trying to make a T-55 look like a Tiger with millions of dollars invested, seems the closest they can do is weld a muzzle-brake on the front and call it a day.

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt07/panther-tank-disguise-m10.html

You would think that there would be a good market for a collection of replica WW2 vehicles in movies after all they are still building FW-190s and not long ago the Czechs were producing the Hanomag SdKfz251 halftrack as the OT.810 until the mid-1960s.

Last edited:
Well there is only working Tiger left in the world. That makes it a bit tuff and that belongs to the Bovington tank museum.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpJ_63YiCAM"]The only working Tiger tank in the World - YouTube[/ame]

Hand cranking said Tiger Tank at Bovington.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROnb5ouBjNc"]Tiger Tank " Hand Crank Engine Start Up " - YouTube[/ame]

Another option is to use the same tank for both sides, but paint them differently. If I remember correctly they exactly did that in the movie Patton. The Americans were driving in green colored Pershing tanks or M48s, the Germans were driving khaki colored Pershing or M48s. I am referring to when the two met in North Africa. I will take a look and see if I can find the scenes of the battle.

In the movie A bridge too far, there is a German tank crossing the bridge and it is supposed to be a Tiger, I guess. What kind of tank are they using in the movie and trying to make it look like a German tank? Is it a Comet?

Another option is to use the same tank for both sides, but paint them differently. If I remember correctly they exactly did that in the movie Patton. The Americans were driving in green colored Pershing tanks or M48s, the Germans were driving khaki colored Pershing or M48s. I am referring to when the two met in North Africa. I will take a look and see if I can find the scenes of the battle.

In the movie A bridge too far, there is a German tank crossing the bridge and it is supposed to be a Tiger, I guess. What kind of tank are they using in the movie and trying to make it look like a German tank? Is it a Comet?

I know the series Hogans Heros used the M3 Grant/Lee for all German tanks including the Tiger.

I found the battle from the movie Patton and it seems I remembered it wrong. The Germans were using M48s and the Americans were using what I think is a Pershing, maybe a M60

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dObTXYa-_n4"]Patton (3/5) Movie CLIP - Rommel, You Magnificent Bastard (1970) HD - YouTube[/ame]

I am amused by Pattons notoriety especially in the movie where you have the Germans creating entire plans around Pattons movements yet in reality he was hardly mentioned in any German communications and completely over looked in the Feb 1944 German war diary on Allied commanders.

An interesting read...
http://www.hoover.org/research/german-view-patton

In the Patton film, the tank being used by the "Americans" is the M-41 , so - called Walker Bulldog light tank. A nice machine, fast, maneuverable, armed with a 76mm main gun. An anachronism when it was introduced. Nobody wanted light tanks anymore.

Back