Second World War tank and anti-aircraft gun found in basement - Page 2

--

July 8th, 2015  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC
Pardon I left out the Panzer V AUSF A. The Panzer V AUSF G resulted from recommendations from troops in the field using the earlier AUSF D and AUSF A versions. Correct the total tally of Panther tanks produced by Nazi Germany was ~ 6000. This is still considerable, considering the quality of the tanks. and that they were produced over a span of less than 2 years. I wouldn't count the ~ 400 Jagdpathers, "which may have been the best tank destroyer of the war" since they are not tanks by definition.
True but they did use the Panther chassis.
July 8th, 2015  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
True but they did use the Panther chassis.
Agreed a good example of the Germans using what was at hand. Fortunately they didn't always do things the easy way.
July 8th, 2015  
MontyB

Probably the best example of this is the use of the PzKpfw III chassis being used for the Sturmgeschütz III.

However the PzKpfw II chassis was used for a number of early Jagdpanzer and SPG designs as well.
--
July 8th, 2015  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
I am a little surprised to see the color of the Panther. It looks like it was intended for the desert, but If I am not completely wrong the Panther appeared in 1943 at the battle of Kursk. At that time the war in North Africa was already over and the allied had invaded Sicily and even continued to Italy itself.

I have seen other German vehicles with the same color, but they were earlier versions of vehicles (panzer II and III, some of the jagd vehicles)
Could it be some sort of anti rust preservative type of paint?
July 8th, 2015  
MontyB

From what i understand they had two base coats, one was the sand yellow you see there and the other was a deep red.

now my guess is that the colour you see there is a modern repaint but that is a standard colour for that vehicle in 1944-45 prior to having its camouflage pattern being applied.
July 8th, 2015  
I3BrigPvSk

Did the Germans use camouflage patterns on their vehicles? They were among the first using camouflage patterned uniforms. The modern Bundeswehr uniform reminds a bit of the camo used during the war

Most pictures from the war are in black and white so it is hard to see colors and patterns.
July 8th, 2015  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Did the Germans use camouflage patterns on their vehicles? They were among the first using camouflage patterned uniforms. The modern Bundeswehr uniform reminds a bit of the camo used during the war

Most pictures from the war are in black and white so it is hard to see colors and patterns.
I'm not 100% sure but didn't the Germans paint their armoured vehicle white during winter in Russia?
July 8th, 2015  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
I'm not 100% sure but didn't the Germans paint their armoured vehicle white during winter in Russia?
They must have done that. Otherwise their vehicles had been very easily detected from the air. Yellow works pretty good when it comes to the winter, the snow from the air has a yellow kind of color.
July 8th, 2015  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
I believe they painted them with a polar camo. of sorts in the winter, at least from 43 on.
July 9th, 2015  
MontyB

Quote:

Even the black and white pictures show camouflage patterns.

However colour photography was available during ww2...