Second largest FORCE in Iraq.

--

June 15th, 2005  
ozmilman

Topic: Second largest FORCE in Iraq.

It's private contractors! They are everywhere and they are making a mint because the danger pay over there for security personel is enormous.

Recently two men i know, with years of military, security, weapons, and martial arts experience have quit the army and gone over to Iraq to do private contracting. These men are going to end up so rich that they are probably going to be able to retire when/if they come back from there.

I know it's a dirty word, but they're mercenaries - so what do we think of mercenaries here? If you think of them as private security personel then it isn't so bad. Does anyone here know anyone whose gone off to do private contracting?

Rich.
June 15th, 2005  
MI Blues

Topic: Contracting

No, I don't. But I have considered it myself. With four children, the risk is too great to volunteer. A hefty combat-zone pay does me no good dead.
June 15th, 2005  
AlexKall

Smart decision!

I don't think its wrong, aslong as its voulenteer, never seen anything like it thats not but you never know.
--
June 15th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Mercenries are great! Mercenries get a really bad rap due to fear of them switching sides, but mercenries have proven themselves over and over in human history as important parts of a war effort.

I think Mercenries are perfect for many lower intensity conflicts that national armies are unwilling to do. Case-in-point Africa. The UN armies have proven themselves to be next to useless. In the case of something like the Rawandan genocides, why not send a professional mercenary force to stop the genocide? At least that's what I think.
June 16th, 2005  
ozmilman

The UN knows it's useless, but it's not willing to spent millions of dollars paying mercenaries to do their job.

Rich.
June 16th, 2005  
chewie_nz

hmmmm funny, i had never thought of them as mercs.....but of course that EXACTLY what they are.

i have an american friend that i chat to from time to time, he's going back asa contracter...and will be able to retire when he gets back

but does this cause any resentment for servicemen in iraq on regular army pay?
June 16th, 2005  
ozmilman

I'd imagine that it would cause a great deal of resentment because these 'civilians' are coming in and doing pretty much a military job and getting paid, what, twice, three times more? Maybe ten times more? I don't know much about danger pay for the military.

Rich.
June 23rd, 2005  
soldierzhonor

After reading this I deleted it since it seemed like a flame and wasnt to come across as one lol. I do disagree on the merc claim though since contactors are hiring truck drivers with experience also.
June 23rd, 2005  
chewie_nz

there are many "contractors" that are just driving trucks, serving food etc, but i guess the main part we were talking about was those who are serving as body guards etc.
June 24th, 2005  
LIPS

Who said there were Mercs working in Iraq??? As yet I am unaware of the name of any such group. There are people working for companies as security and protection advisors and so on. They are contracted to provide the protection that the military should not be responsible for to ensure the running of their companies.

PS. The Australian soldiers in Iraq get paid very well.