Second Australian VC awarded in Afghanistan.

Spartan613

An Australian Special Air Service Regiment soldier serving in Afghanistan has been awarded the Victoria Cross of Australia for valour displayed in combat with the Taliban. Details are still sketchy, but reports indicate he single-handedly assaulted three Taliban machine-gun posts that had his patrol pinned down.

Personally, I'm pleased to see he earned this VC the old-fashioned way.... by closing with and killing lots of the enemy.

"Who dares, wins".

:2guns:

Good on em. I'm really glad to see that he survived. Too many of the heroes from these wars have been buried as a result of their actions...it's about time someone lived for the world to recognize their sacrifice.

I read today, that at one point in the battle; a Taliban jumped up on this guys back (he's 6'7" tall) and the Corporal threw the Taliban off on to the ground, but his boot on the Talib's throat, and shot him in the head. Nice!

r706533_5478750.jpg

Cpl Ben Roberts-Smith VC MG is the huge bloke on the right, and Australia's newest VC winner and Australia's most decorated living soldier. On the left is the second most recent recipient, also from the SASR, Cpl Mark Donaldson VC who is congratulating his mate at Swanbourne Barracks.

Awarded the Victoria Cross for Australia
Corporal Benjamin Roberts-Smith, VC, MG
Citation
For the most conspicuous gallantry in action in circumstances of extreme peril as Patrol Second-in-Command, Special Operations Task Group on Operation SLIPPER.

Corporal Benjamin Roberts Smith enlisted in the Australian Regular Army in 1996. After completing the requisite courses, he was posted the 3rd Battalion, the Royal Australian Regiment where he saw active service in East Timor. In January 2003, he successfully completed the Australian Special Air Service Regiment Selection Course.

During his tenure with the Regiment, he deployed on Operation VALIANT, SLATE, SLIPPER, CATALYST and SLIPPER II. Corporal Benjamin Roberts-Smith was awarded the Medal for Gallantry for his actions in Afghanistan in 2006.

On the 11th June 2010, a troop of the Special Operations Task Group conducted a helicopter assault into Tizak, Kandahar Province, in order to capture or kill a senior Taliban commander.

Immediately upon the helicopter insertion, the troop was engaged by machine gun and rocket propelled grenade fire from multiple, dominating positions. Two soldiers were wounded in action and the troop was pinned down by fires from three machine guns in an elevated fortified position to the south of the village. Under the cover of close air support, suppressive small arms and machine gun fire, Corporal Roberts Smith and his patrol manoeuvred to within 70 metres of the enemy position in order to neutralise the enemy machine gun positions and regain the initiative.

Upon commencement of the assault, the patrol drew very heavy, intense, effective and sustained fire from the enemy position. Corporal Roberts Smith and his patrol members fought towards the enemy position until, at a range of 40 metres, the weight of fire prevented further movement forward. At this point, he identified the opportunity to exploit some cover provided by a small structure.

As he approached the structure, Corporal Roberts Smith identified an insurgent grenadier in the throes of engaging his patrol. Corporal Roberts Smith instinctively engaged the insurgent at point-blank range resulting in the death of the insurgent. With the members of his patrol still pinned down by the three enemy machine gun positions, he exposed his own position in order to draw fire away from his patrol, which enabled them to bring fire to bear against the enemy. His actions enabled his Patrol Commander to throw a grenade and silence one of the machine guns. Seizing the advantage, and demonstrating extreme devotion to duty and the most conspicuous gallantry, Corporal Roberts Smith, with a total disregard for his own safety, stormed the enemy position killing the two remaining machine gunners.

His act of valour enabled his patrol to break-in to the enemy position and to lift the weight of fire from the remainder of the troop who had been pinned down by the machine gun fire. On seizing the fortified gun position, Corporal Roberts Smith then took the initiative again and continued to assault enemy positions in depth during which he and another patrol member engaged and killed further enemy. His acts of selfless valour directly enabled his troop to go on and clear the village of Tizak of Taliban. This decisive engagement subsequently caused the remainder of the Taliban in Shah Wali Kot District to retreat from the area.

Corporal Roberts Smith’s most conspicuous gallantry in a circumstance of extreme peril was instrumental to the seizure of the initiative and the success of the troop against a numerically superior enemy force. His valour was an inspiration to the soldiers with whom he fought alongside and is in keeping with the finest traditions of the Australian Army and the Australian Defence Force.
Awarded the Medal for Gallantry
Lance Corporal Benjamin Roberts-Smith
Citation

For gallantry in action in hazardous circumstances as a patrol sniper in the Special Operations Task Group – Task Force 637, whilst deployed on Operation SLIPPER Rotation Three Afghanistan, May – September 2006.

On the night of 31st May 2006, Lance Corporal Roberts Smith was employed as a patrol scout and sniper in a patrol which was tasked with establishing an Observation Post near the Chora Pass in extremely rugged terrain overlooking an Anti Coalition Militia sanctuary. Early in the patrol, after an arduous ten hour foot infiltration up the side of a mountain, the patrol was required to coordinate offensive air support to assist a combined Special Operations Task Group and other Special Forces patrol who were in contact with the Anti Coalition Militia in the valley floor to their north. Following this engagement the patrol remained in the Observation Post to continue providing vital information on the Anti Coalition Militia in the area. This comprehensive reporting had a significant effect on shaping the local area for the subsequent coalition forces operation.

On the 2nd June, the Observation Post had become the focus of the Anti Coalition Militia force and repeated attempts to locate and surround the position ensued. In one particular incident the Militia attempted to outflank the Observation Post. Lance Corporal Roberts Smith was part of a two man team tasked to move out of their relatively secure Observation Post in order to locate and neutralise the Militia and regain the initiative. This task was successfully achieved.

In another incident, two Anti Coalition Militia attempted to attack the Observation Post from a different flank, Lance Corporal Roberts Smith again moved to support and neutralise one of these Militia. Lance Corporal Roberts Smith then realised that the forward edge of the Observation Post was not secure and made the decision to split the team and take up an exposed position forward of the patrol so he could effectively employ his sniper weapon. Whilst isolated, and in his precarious position, he observed a group of sixteen Anti Coalition Militia advancing across open ground towards the Observation Post. Lance Corporal Roberts Smith effectively employed his sniper rifle to stop their advance whilst receiving very accurate small arms fire from another group of Militia to his flank.

Through his efforts, Lance Corporal Roberts Smith maintained the initiative and ensured that his patrol remained secure by holding this position without support for twenty minutes. He was eventually reinforced by his original team member and together they continued to hold off the Militia advance for a further twenty minutes until offensive air support arrived.

Lance Corporal Roberts Smith’s actions on the 2nd June 2006, whilst under heavy Anti Coalition Militia fire and in a precarious position, threatened by a numerically superior force, are testament to his courage, tenacity and sense of duty to his patrol. His display of gallantry in disregarding his own personal safety in maintaining an exposed sniper position under sustained fire with a risk of being surrounded by the Anti Coalition Militia was outstanding. His actions, in order to safeguard his patrol, were of the highest order and in keeping with the finest traditions of Special Operations Command Australia, the Australian Army and the Australian Defence Force.

Personal biography
Corporal Benjamin Roberts-Smith, VC, MG
Benjamin Roberts-Smith was born in Perth on 1 November 1978.
He enlisted in the Australian Army on 11 November 1996. He completed his training at the School of Infantry, Singleton, New South Wales. In 1997, Corporal Roberts‑Smith was posted to the 3rd Battalion, the Royal Australian Regiment (3RAR) where he served as a Rifleman in C Company, before advancing on to be a section commander in Direct Fire Support Weapons platoon.
During his tenure with 3RAR, Corporal Roberts‑Smith deployed twice as part of the Rifle Company Butterworth Malaysia, and conducted two operational tours of East Timor including INTERFET in 1999.
In 2003, Corporal Roberts-Smith completed the SASR selection course and was selected to commence the Special Air Service Regiment (SASR) reinforcement cycle. On completion of the reinforcement cycle, he was posted to 3 Squadron, where he served as a member of the Tactical Assault Group West and the Contingency Squadron.
While with 3 Squadron, Corporal Roberts‑Smith was a member of a number of training and assistance teams throughout South East Asia. He was deployed on operations to Fiji in 2004, and has also deployed on Recovery Operations, as well as a number of personnel security detachments in Iraq throughout 2005/2006.
2006 saw Corporal Roberts‑Smith deployed as part of the Special Operations Task Group (SOTG) in Afghanistan where he was subsequently awarded the Medal of Gallantry. He was again deployed with the SOTG in Afghanistan in 2007.

In 2009, Corporal Roberts‑Smith was then posted to 2 Squadron where he deployed as a patrol second in command to Afghanistan. Upon his return, Corporal Roberts‑Smith completed the SASR Patrol Commanders Course, and in 2010 was again deployed with the SOTG in Afghanistan.

Corporal Roberts‑Smith is currently posted to the Special Air Service Regiment. He is married to Emma, and they are the proud parents of 5‑month old twin girls, Eve and Elizabeth.

Good job I guess... But I thought it was somehow common in combat...

Let's do the maths, they were pinned by three machine guns, and with suppressive fire from small arms and gunships, he managed to disable one machine gun with a grenade and to storm the other machine guns...

And then, he help a sniper position for 20 minutes with no support... In face of a retreating enemy... And the enemy is a poorly equipped militia by the way...

Am I supposed to be impressed by that? Honest question guys. Isnt that common in combat?

It feels like "thank you for not being a coward." more than a "thank you for the heroic stuff you have done, you turned a nightmare into an easy piece of cake mission."

Let's do the maths, they were pinned by three machine guns, and with suppressive fire from small arms and gunships, he managed to disable one machine gun with a grenade and to storm the other machine guns...

And then, he help a sniper position for 20 minutes with no support... In face of a retreating enemy... And the enemy is a poorly equipped militia by the way...

Am I supposed to be impressed by that? Honest question guys. Isnt that common in combat?

It feels like "thank you for not being a coward." more than a "thank you for the heroic stuff you have done, you turned a nightmare into an easy piece of cake mission."
Nobody can answer that in all honesty, unless they were there I guess.

I'm sure these men are tough as hell...

But that's not the point, I feel like the "system" is getting soft...

I'm sure that WWII soldiers had to be 10 times braver... The casualties rates were much higher. The support they had was powerful, but not as efficient as the tools we have today...

They were alone on the field... And they had chances to meet with almighty German Tanks... etc etc...

They had to be f****ing heroes just to accept the mission and giving it a try...

Now, the men have tons of support, good training, good weapons and a weak enemy... And they get rewarded for a little bravery in combat...

Am I dreaming or are we playing a much different game?

The Talibans who were holding the three machine guns to fight gunships and professional soldiers... They are not getting any medals...

Well, I can't speak for others, but I didn't go to war to win medals and I don't think this soldier did either. I went because I was in the Navy at the time, and my country expected it of me, I thought that it was a reasonable expectation, end of story.

I did what was asked of me, and left it to others to judge my performance. One thing that I do know is that I was never in anything like the danger these people were, and given that I only know that which was written by others, I refuse to make judgement on the issue.

I'm sure these men are tough as hell...

But that's not the point, I feel like the "system" is getting soft...

I'm sure that WWII soldiers had to be 10 times braver... The casualties rates were much higher. The support they had was powerful, but not as efficient as the tools we have today...

They were alone on the field... And they had chances to meet with almighty German Tanks... etc etc...

They had to be f****ing heroes just to accept the mission and giving it a try...

Now, the men have tons of support, good training, good weapons and a weak enemy... And they get rewarded for a little bravery in combat...

Am I dreaming or are we playing a much different game?

The Talibans who were holding the three machine guns to fight gunships and professional soldiers... They are not getting any medals...

*Cough!* (BS!), *cough!*

Of course that they are not there for the medals. That would be silly.

But arent the medals here to reward great acts? And then, my question is "was this a great accomplishment?"

You read stories about the people who received the congressional medal of honor (as an example), and you see something really heroic.
Like a severely wounded soldier diving on a grenade to save team mates etc... Something really inspiring and heroic...

Here, I only see common military actions. Flanking machine guns nests... Holding a position... And I must add "against a poorly prepared enemy."

And I believe that this kind of actions are very common in a firefight...

Here we go...you don't know what the status of the enemy was. You don't know what the status of the coalition team was. The fact remains that without this soldiers actions, many of his team mates would have either been killed or severly wounded.

Nobody in their right mind charges several machine gun nests by themselves. Most end up very dead. It's a miracle he was not only successful at taking out multiple enemy positions, but that he survived to fight another day. Combat is Combat is Combat. It's never as easy as it looks on paper.

What "system" are you refering to? I'm not sure you are in a position to judge on anything about the awards system. I know in the American military it has become much harder to recieve a high valorous award even though the nature of combat we are constantly engaged in is at hand grenade range and closer. It doesn't matter how well trained you are, the fear is still present, and it is the overcoming of this fear that is recognized as bravery. You are trying to minimize the situation as a black and white issue when in fact combat in and of itself is never that recognizable. It's filled with shades of grey and this soldier immediately recognized what needed to be done and did it. I can imagine a situation like this and the circumstances surrounding it because I have been face to face with the enemy...can you?

As far as your casualty rates comment, it begs to be refuted. They had higher casualty rates because there was a hell of a lot more of them and they didn't wear body armor or have access to immediate state of the art medicine. For every soldier killed in combat these days 8-9 are wounded. Compared to the WWII rate of for every 1 killed 2 were wounded. The danger for the grunts is essentially the same, plus, the WWII veterans were not limited by a ROE, EOF, Media, etc. I don't want take anything from the WWII vets because each and every one of them IS a hero. BUT, that doesn't mean the soldiers of todays mission is any easier.

Basically you're assumptions reak of ignorance on the subject and it is a slap in the face to this soldier that has been recognized for extreme bravery to call into question his actions. These awards get reviewed all the way up the chain of command and are not taken lightly. The EXPERTS judged that his actions were in line with previous recipeints of the VC and awarded it to him based off of that criteria. Who are you to judge? What gives you the right?

Last edited:
Charging machine gun nests is one thing, but you know that machine guns make a lot of noise and that the machine gunner can lose their situational awareness easily. A single man can easily sneak on their position and flank them...

A single man can easily flank multiple unaware machine gunners... It takes some skills, some bravery for sure. But it's not yet the heroic action of the century.

And let be honest, I'm not judging... I'm not a judge. I'm just asking questions here.

And I believe that in the modern battlefield, we dont need heroes but professionals to do the job and to use the different weapon systems effectively.

We still require heroic act when the system fails and that we need individual skills to get out of the failing situation with minimum damage.
A bit like here where an unit was pinned down by machine gun fire until one soldier takes some risks to neutralize the threat.

And I dont believe in miracles. You cant survive the fire of three machine guns... He had to flank them somehow. Like every soldier is trained to do...

Nobody gave me the right... So I took it. Like a free man is supposed to do.

And I'm asking questions... And yes sir, I doubt the system, may it be government, finances and the military system too...

I dont say it's the case here, but the military have this sweet thing they call "propaganda". Have you heard about this concept? And we are talking about big interests here. Giving medals for silly reasons and making beautiful stories is a tool for propaganda... Hiding war crimes is a common tool too.

A bit like that woman soldier that was saved by special forces in Iraq at the beginning of the war etc... They like beautiful stories to hire naive kids to fuel the war machine...

I have every right I want to refuse to believe anything I want... Do you have a problem with that? Do I owe you something? I'm not your slave. I do whatever I want, either you like it or not.

But I wasnt even talking about this stuff... Isnt this kind of actions common on a battlefield?

Back