Seau joins Patriots four days after announcing retirement

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
NEW YORK, Aug 18 (Reuters) - The New England Patriots signed free agent linebacker Junior Seau on Friday, just four days after the 12-time Pro Bowler announced his retirement.
Seau, 37, held an emotional farewell-to-the-NFL news conference on Monday in San Diego.
The 6-foot-3, 248-pound linebacker had been injured for most of the past two seasons with the Miami Dolphins and was released by the club in March after missing 17 games in two seasons.
He appeared to have misgivings on Monday about retiring but said he was ready to leave the game.
"I'm healthy, I can play, and there are teams out there that had interest, but they just didn't need (me)," Seau said. "They wanted me but they didn't need me."
Known for his trademark fist pump which followed many of his tackles, Seau was one of the NFL's top linebackers and helped the San Diego Chargers to their only Super Bowl appearance in 1995.
The fifth overall pick in the 1990 draft by San Diego, Seau was traded to the Dolphins for a fifth-round draft pick after the 2003 season.
Terms of his deal with New England were not released.

Back