Seattle not sorry for sliding into title

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

GREGG BELL

Associated Press

SEATTLE - All 52 of his teammates chose to quickly hide their NFC West championship T-shirts and caps inside bags. But Lofa Tatupu was wearing his white T-shirt immediately after the Seahawks backed into their third division title.
He stood in front of his locker looking proud. Defiant, almost.
"I do feel bad we lost, but I don't think it's a situation where people have to tell us we didn't earn it," Seattle's linebacker said Sunday evening, immediately after San Diego spoiled the Seahawks' comeback from a 10-0 hole in the second half with a touchdown pass in the final 29 seconds of the Chargers' 20-17 win.
Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck was upset about losing what he said was his team's first well-played game "in a while." Then he saw the division champs gear waiting for him in the locker room minutes after Arizona upset San Francisco to clinch the Seahawks' backdoor way into the playoffs.
He got the same conflicted feelings much of Seattle has right now.
"You come inside and you're just sort of exhausted and obviously upset about losing the game," Hasselbeck said. "Then sitting in your locker is a T-shirt and cap that says you are the NFC West champs, which is really our first goal.
"I still like our team. I like our team's chances in the tournament."
Few others do.
Many are snickering that the Seahawks (8-7), losers of three straight, are getting a home playoff game. They will host a wild card, most likely Dallas or Philadelphia, on Jan. 6 or 7 - even though they have to win Sunday at Tampa Bay just to finish with a winning record. Seattle may have a worse record than the wild-card team it will host after winning the NFL's weakest division, where no other team is above .500.
The Seahawks aren't apologizing. It's not their fault the NFC this season stands for Not Fully Competitive.
The best illustration of how different this Seattle season of injuries, mistakes and repeated disappointment has become from 2005: A month ago, there was frustration at failing to match last season's consistent excellence that led to 13 wins in the regular season and the franchise's first Super Bowl berth.
Now, leading the AFC's best until the final seconds before losing yet again ranks as a Seahawks accomplishment - after weeks spent desperately grasping for anything resembling a positive.
Shaun Alexander, who looked much like his 2005 MVP self while rushing for 140 yards and a bullish touchdown that gave Seattle its first lead Sunday, said a duplication of Sunday's effort will win any postseason game.
As long as the Chargers aren't on the other side again, that is.
"I think so," Alexander said. "I think the Chargers are definitely a Super Bowl team. We play against a bunch of other teams that way, I think we'll win.
"I'm glad they are in the AFC. Hopefully, everyone over there can bang them a little bit before we seen them in Miami (for February's Super Bowl)."
Alexander is known for hyperbole. But his seemingly misguided Super Bowl talk came from his belief in the same across-the-team improvement that Hasselbeck saw while almost upsetting San Diego, following miserable losses to Arizona and San Francisco and uneven play all season.
"I think everyone saw our real team for the first time this year," Alexander said. "This is the healthiest Matt and I have been all year. This is the first time the offensive line fully knew their roles.
"Before, I didn't think we were a good team ... any team could have beaten us. This week, we showed the Seahawks really are."
But Seattle might have a new problem on defense.
Cornerback Marcus Trufant sprained his right ankle during the opening drive of the third quarter Sunday after Tatupu rolled over his leg at the end of a play. Seattle's best cover man immediately went to the locker room for X-rays.
Those pictures were negative. Trufant said he was due for more tests Monday. Coach Mike Holmgren said his starting right cornerback may have a high ankle sprain, which sometimes lingers. Right tackle Sean Locklear had one on his left ankle earlier this season and was out six weeks.
"I'll really start to worry after (Monday's tests)," Trufant said ruefully while slumped over crutches.
Rookie Kelly Jennings, who replaced Trufant on Sunday, would likely start at right cornerback in the playoffs. That could make a season-long concern in giving up deep pass plays such as Sunday's game winner an even bigger liability in the postseason.
As if Seattle needs another.

Back