Searching for Pearl Harbor graves.

I am supportive of the plan to identify the locations of the missing servicemen and think repatriating the remains is a good idea however I don't think people need to go around sticking memorials up at all the sites.

If that process became the norm then Europe would be one long memorial as just about every square inch of it has been fought over at some point in history.

I am supportive of the plan to identify the locations of the missing servicemen and think repatriating the remains is a good idea however I don't think people need to go around sticking memorials up at all the sites.

If that process became the norm then Europe would be one long memorial as just about every square inch of it has been fought over at some point in history.
The number of large monuments at Gettysburg & other C.W. battlefields are distracting.

Really, I found Gettysburg to be one of the few genuinely peaceful monuments I have ever visited, most you are tripping over tour groups and being herded around like sheep.

From what I understand many of those seemingly countless memorials at Gettysburg are not located properly. Also the scarcity of Confederate memorials would seem to confirm the old adage that the victors write the history.
All that being said, I would still recommend a visit to anyone with the least interest in American history.

Back