Seaplane - 4 engine

Frank Meyer

Saturday
August 8, 2009
Nassau, Bahamas

I am finishing up a novel dealing with a recue operation into Saudi Arabia circa Januray 1997 where a 4 engine seaplane was utilized. I am trying to establish where I can get a sketch of photo of a 4 engine seaplane.

Last edited:
I think you just need to surf the Internet. But understand that seaplane is very general. You may want to search by Float Plane, or Flying boat. The difference being float plane fuselages don't touch the water. Flying boats the fuselage sits on the water. You can find some float planes with four engines, but most likely if you are looking for larger aircraft they will probably be flying boats. Then refine your search by country. Very large selection world wide.

PS. Is your plane amphibious? Meaning that it can land on water and land, that is an additional category.

The Short Sunderland from WW2 is a 4 engine flyingboat. There are one or two around the world that are still airworthy.

I don't have a photo but have seen a PBY Catalina with two extra modern day engines added outboard of the original engines,you may want to try googling a PBY site about that type.

I think you need a modern one, if it must be a 4-engine, try US-1A Kai, or Shin Meiwa, or Harbin SH5.
Need something bigger ? Try Be-200 twinjet seaplane, or A-40/A-42 Albatross. There's a lot of those seaplanes's pictures on the net.

Back