Scout Swimmers+US Navy SCUBA School

Tovarish1

Scout Swimmers / Qualifications & Training

Do Marine Scout Swimmers go through US Navy SCUBA School? Thanks.

Last edited:
Scout Swimmers are surface swimmers, Scuba is Scuba . Combatant Divers are Combatant Divers. Yes Scout swimmers do sometimes go on to dive school, no not all of them. It depends on your billet on your unit and the need for you to go to SCUBA or CDC.

Scout Swimmers utilize fins and masks and snorkels. There is no need to train them on open or closed circuit gear it's not part of the misson.

Scout Swimmers attend school at Lejune, Coronado,Pendelton or K-Bay depending on their posting, there was also a 3rd MARDIV school at Camp Schwab Okinawa in the 80's conducted by 3rd Recon Bn.

Last edited:
Okay so no they don't go to SCUBA school. Now I was reading on an OKIMAR website and they were talking about Scout/Swimmer student evaluations and how you have to score an 80% on them. What kinda evaluations are we talking about here?

They evaluate you at completing the techniques and tactics you've been instructed in during the course. You have to score 80% to graduate.

Oh. Know the approximate washouts (I hate asking that lol.)

BTW do you know what MOS number that is? I assume it's somewhere in 03xx...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh so if I enlist as 03xx and get assigned an MOS, I can go to Scout/Swimmer Course? Or is that only if I get like 0311 or 0331 or 0351 (the jobs where you carry a firearm?)

Like all additioanl training in the Corps you'll get it if......................

1. You need it as a skill in your MOS, TO MAKE YOU EFFECTIVE.

2. Your unit requires the skill to be effective.

You can request Space Shuttle Door Gunner school, if the Corps or your Unit don't deem it necessary for combat effectiveness you ain't going.

By any chance do you know if the marine corps gives a allowance of so many slots to other services to attend the scout swimmer course? Would you by any chance have route to find out this information? Thank you

By any chance do you know if the marine corps gives a allowance of so many slots to other services to attend the scout swimmer course? Would you by any chance have route to find out this information? Thank you

All the courses I ever saw were Division, Bn or unit level ran and allocated seats out accordingly. Best bet would to be contacting the 3-Shop of a Recon Bn or a Bn Deploying on a MEU and asking.

Back