The Scottish Soldier

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
On exercise in Germany in the 1980's, I was tasked to take stores to a Scottish Regiment with a section of trucks. On arrival I approached a Scottish soldier and asked him where his CP was as I had stores for his unit. He answered me in the broadest Scottish incomprehensible accent I had ever heard, I didn't understand a word. I said “WHAT?” The soldier then repeated himself, by which time my 2 i/c had wandered up, I turned to my 2 i/c and said “Dave can you translate.” He looked at me and replied “Don't ask me mate, I only speak English.”

Last edited:
On exercise in Germany in the 1980's, I was tasked to take stores to a Scottish Regiment with a section of trucks. On arrival I approached a Scottish soldier and asked him where his CP was as I had stores for his unit. He answered me in the broadest Scottish incomprehensible accent I had ever heard, I didn't understand a word. I said “WHAT?” The soldier then repeated himself, by which time my 2 i/c had wandered up, I turned to my 2 i/c and said “Dave can you translate.” He looked at me and replied “Don't ask me mate, I only speak English.”

Hahaha!!!! :D

Currently I am serving with a Scottish Regiment. We recently had a Ghurka posted in to my section who is a great guy but is struggling with the language barrier. Anyway I received a call from a Sgt complaining that 'The wee mannie musnae haft laern to speak weel English'. Quick as a flash I pointed out that it was like the Sgt's second language. There was a stunned silence as he took this in. 'Wadday mean?' Well your first language is Jockinese he is going to take time to get used to it. The response 'Cheeky tw*t.' Sound of reciever being baged home. Ahh the sweet silence of another satisfied customer.

Back