Schumacher to retire from Formula One

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1737493.htm

Michael Schumacher, the most successful Formula One driver of all time, is retiring from the sport at the end of the season.
The German seven-time world champion made the announcement after winning the Italian Grand Prix to reduce rival Fernando Alonso's championship lead to just two points.
Alonso failed to finish the race due to engine problems with nine laps to go.
"All these years in Formula One have been amazing, especially those spent alongside my friends in the Scuderia [Ferrari]," Schumacher said in a statement.
"Soon my future will belong to my family, while I am happy to be still part of Ferrari.
"But for now, what matters is this world championship."
It is not clear what future role Schumacher might take with Ferrari but the team says it will define his role at the end of the year.
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo said: "I had always said that the decision to retire would be his alone but now that the decision has been taken, I feel a sense of sadness".
Schumacher has set a long list of records throughout his career, including most wins, pole positions, podium finishes, fastest laps and wins in a season.
The Ferrari team says Finland's Kimi Raikkonen and Brazilian Felipe Massa will race for it next season.
Raikkonen, currently with McLaren, has agreed on a three-year deal, while Massa's contract has been extended to the end of 2008.
There are three Grands Prix still left in the current season - in China, Japan and Brazil, all next month.
Schumacher is expected to compete in his last race in Brazil.

Back