"Scared" about joining. Advice?

--

July 7th, 2012  
vDragon

Topic: "Scared" about joining. Advice?

Let me apologize in advance, I'm sure there are millions of threads just like this one, but I've. Tried searching and I just can't find a thread that will help "me". I'm 18 and turning 19 in augest, I've talked to a recruiter about joining the army a couple times now and tomorrow I'm going to call him and tell him I want to join and get things rolling so I can head to Meps and enlist, my recruiter told me since I'm going active it could take a minimum of 6 months for me to ship to boot camp, depending on my MOS. Now here is why I'm scared: Im scared of the unknown, leaving home for the first time for at least 4 years (with some vacation time Inbetween), and mainly boot amp in general. Im afraid if I try I'll fail because I've never done anything this extreme with my life or a commitment close to this big. Mentally going into boot camp I'm fine, well, sort of, I know this is what I want and I won't quit, I'll try my best but I don't know if my best will be good enough. This had been replaying over and over in my mind for the last two years now. Another thing is physicality, I am not the fastest guy on the block, actually the opposite. I'm 6,4 and weigh around 200 so I'm a big guy, I can run two miles in about 15 minutes, give or take, 34 pushups in two minutes and about 54 crunches in two minutes. So I'm bare minmum, I'm scared I will slow everyone down in boot camp and I'll be the guy that everyone hate cuz I'm getting them smoked constantly, I'm worried I won't be able to keep up physically, I'm terrible at squats and my knees hurt like a mother f**ker when I squat. Now don't figure me for an out of shape kind of guy, I play sports like hockey,football,baseball and basketball but I've never been on a team. I've never been relied on for anything and never had this kind of responsibility. I know this is what I want, I want to serve my country like the generations that have busted their chops for me. I'm just scared of the unknown and not knowing if I can do it. Thanks for reading, this has been bottled in my head do way too long now. I'm also always thinking to myself boot amp will be like hell cuz Ive always thought Drill Instructers were the most intimidating people on this planet.
July 7th, 2012  
hawky94

Hi mate,

Although I'm not a serviceman, I will tell you this. In my opinion, any serviceman who tells you that they are not scared or at least a little apprehensive before they join is probably lying to you.

If this is something that you really want to do, then use, channel your fear. Perhaps that fear will make you stronger, and hey, once you get in amongst it all, maybe that fear will subside.

Good luck to you.
July 7th, 2012  
42RM

I'm going to talk straight to you. You are not mature enough to enter this life. Get yourself a little more life experience, get an education, find a job and try to stand on your own two feet alone. You must be a lot more confident, otherwise you will not survive in the Army. As you describe yourself and your thoughts right now, I would advise you not to join. It will only be a defeat for you. More life experience, better fitness and a hell of a lot more self-confidence, then you can start thinking about signing up.
--
July 7th, 2012  
LeEnfield

Why not join the navy and travel the world by ship, if you are not sure about the army then don't do it.
July 7th, 2012  
Freyja

I agree with 42RM. You don´t sound ready.

The Army doesn´t ask for one hundred per cent effort. They ask for a hundred and fifty. It sounds impossible; after all, there is only so much you can give, right? Wrong. If you're giving something your best, you´ve got to be willing to exceed your best. If you have an "I can´t" attitude, the Army´s not for you.
July 7th, 2012  
Sara

Do you really want to join the military? I've read your post and I see a young man who wants to be responsible, relied on, and a part of something bigger than himself. There is something in your post which caught my eye- "I'm scared".
I want to tell you that everyone is afraid when they first join. Everyone I've spoken with has a fear in the beginning and all throughout the process, this is normal. You fight through this fear and do the best you can. I will not discourage you from doing something you really want to do only because you're afraid of what others may think.
If you're worried about the pain, get into better shape- start working out every day and you'll feel better about the PT.
Study for the test so you'll make a higher grade and have more jobs to chose from.
You stated that you've been thinking about this for two years.
I would like to ask if you have any other interests other than the military and are they as strong? If not, go for it. If you fail the first time you can always try again.

Don't let what others may think of you stop you from doing what you really want to do.

As a mother of a soldier I can honestly say that I'm worried about my son 24 hrs a day yet, I'm so proud of him and how it's built his confidence that it completely overrides this fear. His bravery and how far he's come has motivated everyone around him. The military was his only interest.
While in basic he wrote letters for every obstacle he faced and overcame. It did something to him which I hear in his voice and see in his face when I do get the rare chance to see him.

Watching his company graduate basic training was something I'll never forget. It's something you will never forget and neither will your family if you are lucky enough to have their support.

I promise you that if you really want to do this and try your best you won't regret it. Obstacles will be in your way yet fight through them and you'll be proud of yourself.
I miss my son, as we all miss our loved ones who are brave enough to do this but it takes someone strong enough to get past this fear and I hope my few words will help you.

Good luck!

I would not fear a pack of lions led by a sheep, but I would always fear a flock of sheep led by a lion.
Alexander the Great
July 8th, 2012  
42RM

With all honor and respect Sarah, You're a good person and I'm sure you have sympathy for this young man, but you have not gone through military training and this young man is in my opinion not ready. It will be living hell for him. It's not about what he wants - it's about what the Army demands and expects.
July 8th, 2012  
vDragon

Hey 42rm, No disrespect, but you don't know me, you don't know who I am or what I want. All you know is what I've said on this forum, so don't criticize me or even give me your opinion for that matter, I did not ask for it, nor do I want it. I asked for advice and guidance to help me exceed in the army, because it's something I want and have been dreaming of for more then you know, my maturity may be a big factor, but then again, how many 18 year olds are ever mature enough to enlist in the military? Sara, I hope your son is safe and stays safe, I appreciate the sound words and will not forget them!
July 8th, 2012  
vDragon

You also tell me I need more self confidence, one of the reasons I posted on this forum was to help get encouragement frOm service men and women, and others involved in the military, not to be told I cant do it or I'm not ready.
July 8th, 2012  
42RM

Fine mate! But I'm not going to pat you on the cheek and tell you that everything is okay. I am a professional officer and knows what it takes. I call what I see.