"Scared" about joining. Advice?

If you are not sure DON'T do it, if you don't like it you can't just resign and you will either desert or get a wooden overcoat

If you desert, that's where my old mob jumps into motion. As a military copper, I cut my teeth arresting poor misunderstood individuals who couldn't hack basic training. My own basic training lasted 7 months not 9 weeks, my squad sergeant failed SAS selection for being too sadistic so was put in charge of training. My advice would be to make sure you're 100% certain it's what you want to do otherwise my USMP colleagues will be knocking at your momma's house to drag you off to the glasshouse in cuffs.

You will do fine as long as it's something you want to achieve.
I ship off to basic in September 4, I to am 18 turning 19 in august 21. I'm about 5'10 and weight 175pounds...not fat but not skinny either.
Basic Training is a different experience for everyone, and you will have your doubts before you sign up, How can i prove it? Well for one i had it 5months ago when i was about to sign up, that and well everyone that i've made friends with in the future soldier program all had their moments, specially as the date is only less than 20 days away...I'm nervous but at the same time i feel excited...I hope you signed up by the time you read this post, since you did make it about a month ago...

42RM isn't trying to scare you by the way, he is giving you advice but from his own opinion, like i said everyone has different experiences in basic, i know friends who are now in Ait, who would love to go back to basic...others who are glad is over....

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and advice, but you should only make your decision on this : Do you like the military life?
Good luck and if you did enlist good luck in basic and try to enjoy it, as i will try to do so as well :)

Blind leading the blind...

Why do people who have no idea what the hell they're talking about think it's ok to chime in with this type of nonsense?

Hey 42rm, No disrespect, but you don't know me, you don't know who I am or what I want. All you know is what I've said on this forum, so don't criticize me or even give me your opinion for that matter, I did not ask for it, nor do I want it. I asked for advice and guidance to help me exceed in the army, because it's something I want and have been dreaming of for more then you know, my maturity may be a big factor, but then again, how many 18 year olds are ever mature enough to enlist in the military? Sara, I hope your son is safe and stays safe, I appreciate the sound words and will not forget them!
OP - you have a truly different tune then your original posting... almost troll like, but then I speculate.. if wrong then I apologize. That said, it would bode you will to read and re-read 42Rm's message... ponder the deeper meaning of what he said, the military is 24/7 on THEIR terms.... when told to pack your ruck and get ready to go - you pack a ruck and get ready to go.... there is no time to complain about the hot date you will miss, just saying

Now, as to your original concerns... if your attitude is good, you keep your mouth shut... avoid the barracks lawyers... jump when told to jump you will do fine..... a million or 4 of us have all gone through the mill.... word of advise, choose an MOS that you can use in a civilian setting.... I have noted many here were more involved with the combat arms...... not much use for us types on the street be wise what you want to do, good luck.

Back