Saw it on MSNBC

Gator

U of B and B Alumnus
President Ford gets tribute from shrubbery?

Is using "Bushes" to describe more than one Bush at an event correct english?

Bushes pay tribute to Gerald Ford

First family joins New Year's Day mourners at Capitol Rotunda

AP
Updated: 2 hours, 37 minutes ago
function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633032818338330000');
WASHINGTON - President Bush and first lady Laura Bush briefly paid their respects Monday to Gerald R. Ford, joining thousands of ordinary Americans in saying goodbye to the former president.
At midafternoon on a rainy, overcast day, the first couple stood at Ford's flag-draped casket and bowed their heads. Their stay at the U.S. Capitol lasted just a few minutes.
Bush, who had been vacationing until Monday at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, had saluted Ford in a statement from there last week after the former president died and Bush also devoted his weekly Saturday radio address to the fallen leader.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16393733/

Well Lieutenant, I guess I need to brush up on my grammar in todays World.
I always thought it was Bushs' when more than one Bush was at an event.

I believe Bushes is the correct plural form of Bush, Bushs' is plural possessive, and bushes is the non proper form of the word (as describing woody plants). Then again, what do I know?

Since so many of our surnames came from Europe when a person was named for a noun to describe his job or status, Smith, Carpenter, Armstrong, and on and on, names usually follow the rules of English which are numerous. I'm not sure why Smiths is different from Bushes but some words ending in consonants have an S added for plurality and some add ES. My name ends with an S and some just add an apostraphe at the end and some of the clan adds ES. We should all speak German, it's easier. :confused:

it should be Bushs' because it is a name you do not have to add any thing or change any letters on a name like my last name is Story for example the plural would think to be stories but it is a name there for it is storys' and there for it makes since that Bush in plural would be Bushs' not Bushes being that bushes is plural for shrubbery

Seems the United States Marine Corps has truly taken over the United States Navy, and now Admirals have become Generals, at least in the realm of Bill Gates.

2 new generals tapped to lead military in Iraq

Reshuffling announced as Bush retools war plans and Democrats attack

MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 2 hours, 33 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The White House announced a shuffling of U.S. military leaders in the Iraq war Friday as President Bush polished his new strategy for the strife-torn nation.
Bush will nominate Adm. William Fallon, who commands American forces in the Pacific, to replace Gen. John Abizaid as top U.S. commander in the Middle East. He also will nominate Army Lt. Gen. David Petraeus, who headed the effort to train Iraqi security forces, to replace Gen. George Casey as top American general in Iraq.
Casey in turn will replace the retiring Gen. Peter Schoomaker as Army chief of staff.
“The president has accepted these recommendations and will be forwarding the nominations, and he’s pleased to do so,” White House press secretary Tony Snow said.
The appointments, which will have to be confirmed by the Senate, represent a visible demonstration of Bush’s desire to shift gears in Iraq. The changes come just days before the president plans to announce a new strategy in the grueling war, now nearly 4 years old, in which more than 3,000 U.S. troops have been killed.
Earlier Friday, Congress' new Democratic leaders said they would oppose any troop buildup.
In a letter sent to Bush on Friday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi urged Bush to begin pulling troops out of Iraq in four to six months. They also asked the president to begin shifting the mission of U.S. forces there from combat to training and logistical support of the Iraqis.
“We are well past the point of more troops for Iraq,” Pelosi, D-Calif., and Reid, D-Nev., wrote a day after their party took control of Capitol Hill.
The Democrats’ criticism of a troop buildup was not new. But the letter underscored a new reality for Bush: With the new congressional leadership, his Iraq policy will be challenged at every turn by lawmakers.
Bush next week will unveil his Iraq strategy, which is expected to entail new political, military and economic steps to win the war. The military approach, which has attracted the most attention and skepticism from Congress, is expected to include an increase in U.S. forces, possibly 9,000 additional troops deployed to the Baghdad capital alone.
A new team for Iraq policy
“One thing is for certain: I will want to make sure the mission is clear and specific and can be accomplished,” Bush said Thursday.
Before the president provides more details, however, he is putting in place a new team to help oversee his Iraq policy.
Ryan Crocker, a veteran American diplomat now U.S. envoy to Pakistan, was expected to replace Zalmay Khalilzad as the U.S. ambassador to Iraq. Khalilzad will be nominated to become the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, according to a senior Bush administration official.
Bush also nominated retired Vice Adm. Mike McConnell, a veteran of more than 25 years in intelligence, to succeed John Negroponte as national intelligence director.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16480442/

I knew bad things would come of naming a Marine the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Last edited:
I believe Bushes is the correct plural form of Bush, Bushs' is plural possessive, and bushes is the non proper form of the word (as describing woody plants). Then again, what do I know?

As one with a degree in English from a British University who is also a teacher of English... DTop is partially correct and poor Sunshine is stuck behind a few clouds. :)

Bush - proper noun singular
Bushes - proper noun plural
Bush's - proper noun singular possessive
Bushes' - proper noun plural possessive

bush - noun singular
bushes - noun plural
bush's - noun singular possessive
bushes' - noun plural possessive

And now for some examples...

President Bush is 5.56's hero.
The Bushes were on vacation in Kennebunkport.
Congress criticised Bush's plan in Iraq while offering no solution of their own.
The Bushes' appearance at the funeral was an expected event.

The bush is green.
The bushes in the forest are green.
This bush's leaves are green.
Those bushes' leaves are purple.

Bush will nominate Adm. William Fallon, who commands American forces in the Pacific, to replace Gen. John Abizaid as top U.S. commander in the Middle East.
That caught me totally off guard. The CENTCOM commander has always been an Army or a Marine general. I think this is the first time a Navy admiral will command CENTCOM.

Gator, were you implying that Fallon is actually a Marine general? He's not: link.

No, just that MSNBC should have listed one General and one Admiral, and the poke was at General Pace, first Marine in history to serve as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

For 20 years CENTCOM went Army, Marine Corps, Army, Marine Corps, Army, Marine Corps, Army, then Army General Abizaid took over for Army General Franks.

No, just that MSNBC should have listed one General and one Admiral, and the poke was at General Pace, first Marine in history to serve as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Oh, whoops -- now that I've had a couple glasses of wine, I re-read your original post and now I understand. Sorry about that.

Back