Saving Private Ryan

spymaster

C'mon now be honest, is Saving Private Ryan the worst, most boring war film since, well, since ever actually?
Apart from the opening 10 minutes and the last 5 minutes, it was just 7 or 8 US soldiers wandering around some French fields squabbling with each other.
yawn
Not a patch on the Longest Day. Incidentally, the church at St Mere Eglise still has an American soldier hanging from the steeple......

Alright, firstly. I completely and totally disagree with you. Saving Private Ryan (exception of first ten minutes, last five minutes) is a great movie. Personally, I thought Longest Day couldn't've MORE dragged out. Crap-movie I'd call that. But, I respect your opinion.

Secondly, to kind of bring this to topic, I'm gonna give one of my favorite quotes from the movie. "All my strength, haste thee to help thee." From the sniper guy (can't think of name). Just always liked that one.

FYI: The Sniper's name is PFC Jackson.

Now for another quote: "If God be for us, who could be against us?" Cpl. Upham

The Longest Day was good for its time but it wasn't THAT great.
Saving Private Ryan was a good movie with a deep and moving story. In many ways it was like a good book that was turned into a film... except it went straight to the screen.
The story is ultimately about a Captain who was at peace with himself regarding men lost under his command because he believes each life lost was lost doing something that saved more lives. But in this one particular mission, this justification doesn't apply.

You have to think of it as a good story... a historical fiction. Not as an accurate D-Day Historical document movie. Though the landing scene was the most accurate reproduction of the landings (according to people who were they). I don't think the 2nd Ranger Regiment landed on Omaha... rather they went for Point du Hoc by scaling the cliffs but other than that... you know what I mean.

On a note, There was a guy in the 506th PIR from the 101st Airborne division who lost all his brothers in World War II and was given a ticket home. This story surfaces in another Stephen Ambrose book, Citizen Soldiers. But the actual event of bringing him home wasn't chaotic like in the movie.

Back