Saving Private Ryan - Page 7

--

June 7th, 2005  
Stosstruppen

The many historical inaccuracies aside, I thought the movie was a sappy Spielburg film but was still a really good action movie. I just don't like how it massively contributed to this whole Stephen Ambrose fuelled 'greatest generation' hero worship crap.
June 7th, 2005  
fronzz

The guts are pretty cool when they are dribbling out of the guys stomach at the beginning of the movie.
July 22nd, 2005  
LeEnfield

Spielberg makes movies and he is only interested in the Box Office Receipts, as far as history goes that has no part to play in these films. But if what he makes annoys people then he has to live with it. Now in the film there was a remark about the Brits sitting at Caen drinking tea while the Americans did all the work and dieing. I would like to point out that 27,000 British and Canadian soldiers died around Caen, there were 9 German Divisions in Normandy and six of these were fighting around Caen and not at Omaha Beach. the other thing that never comes up is why did America refuse all the support weapons that Britain offered. After the trial landing at Bolounge, Britain learnt that special tanks would be required to take the beaches. There was the flame thrower tank, there was a road layer, a bridging tank, another another one that would fire a heavy mortar the size of dustbin to demolish strong points, all these were refused. Also why why did the Americans unload their DD Sherman tanks miles out to sea in an enormous swell so that none of them made it to shore.Why was it took British Destroyers to sail with in two hundred yards of the Beach and blast the strong points allowing the Americans to get ashore as Americans did not want to risk there ships.
--
August 2nd, 2005  
kar98k

I think the best part of Saving Private Ryan is the landing on D-day because it looks soo real and horrifing...i think thats the closest any movie has come to depicting what D-day was like for every soldier that landed...i think this part makes people believe that the landing was not just some stroll on the beach with pockets of resistance...I remember meeting three veterans who landed on D-day about a year ago..They came to my college for a seminar and talked about d-day...they showed the clip from SPR...and commented that it was closely accurate to how hellish it was when they landed on the beach and that no other movie has come as close to depicting it.
August 3rd, 2005  
Kilgore

Actually what i really want to see is a modern made war movie on a british point of view. Something about the landings at Caen, The 6th Airbourne behind enemy lines or the fighting in north africa would be good. Seeing the Commonwealth soldiers in action would be interesting as well, if possible. I guess the public are sick of war movies for now and we wont be seeing any for some time, which is a bummer.

Saving private Ryan Omaha beach landing is the best part of the movie. it so scary.
August 3rd, 2005  
LeEnfield

The thing that caught my eye in this film was when Tom Hanks was standing there in the street firing is automatic .45 pistol at a German tank. The tank blows up and Tom Hanks is standing there with his mouth wide open when a Mustang screams over head.
August 3rd, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
Spielberg makes movies and he is only interested in the Box Office Receipts, as far as history goes that has no part to play in these films. But if what he makes annoys people then he has to live with it. Now in the film there was a remark about the Brits sitting at Caen drinking tea while the Americans did all the work and dieing. I would like to point out that 27,000 British and Canadian soldiers died around Caen, there were 9 German Divisions in Normandy and six of these were fighting around Caen and not at Omaha Beach. the other thing that never comes up is why did America refuse all the support weapons that Britain offered. After the trial landing at Bolounge, Britain learnt that special tanks would be required to take the beaches. There was the flame thrower tank, there was a road layer, a bridging tank, another another one that would fire a heavy mortar the size of dustbin to demolish strong points, all these were refused. Also why why did the Americans unload their DD Sherman tanks miles out to sea in an enormous swell so that none of them made it to shore.Why was it took British Destroyers to sail with in two hundred yards of the Beach and blast the strong points allowing the Americans to get ashore as Americans did not want to risk there ships.
My dear friend. This movie is depicting the time. That comment about Brits and Caen was made over 60 years ago.

Another thing is that the DD's where let off ship mile away because sandbars and enemy fire halted LCT's from coming close. We aAmerican's saw that the beaches could be taken without special machines or vehicles.

And the remark on how only British Destroyers sailed into blast stong holds needs to be check. If you read the book D-Day you'll find different.

Also very little British ships where in the American sectors.
August 3rd, 2005  
redcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Seaman
Also very little British ships where in the American sectors.
Of the vessels used in the assault phase:
Warships: 672 (457 British or Canadian)
Major Landing ships/landing craft: 1599 (1040 British/Canadian) American beaches used 147 Commonwealth and 497 American while Commonwealth beaches used 893 commonwealth and 62 American
August 3rd, 2005  
Charge 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosstruppen
I just don't like how it massively contributed to this whole Stephen Ambrose fuelled 'greatest generation' hero worship crap.
Well, being the son of that generation and knowing my father's and uncles' stories from that war all I can say is you're lucky your typing that complaint in English. It was the greatest generation and they deserve any and all praise we can give them. They deserve even more.

BTW, it was Tom Brokaw who coined the term "The Greatest Generation", not Stephen Ambrose.
August 4th, 2005  
LeEnfield

I will drink to that Charge 7....