Saving Private Ryan

03USMC said:
beardo said:
the film doesnt piss me off as much....more the fact that american kids are growing up thinking that they alone fought in WWII

I for one didn't grow up that way. But thats just me. What would have been the solution to this?
Personally I don't care that there was no British or any other Allied contingent shown in the movie.
But if you wanted to show that Brit's did take part you could have made the crew of the landing craft, Royal Navy. A number of the landing craft on the US beaches were manned by RN men ;)

ps,
The make up of the invasion fleet was as follows, 79% of the warships were British or Canadian, 16% US and 4% other Allies.
Of all the other craft approx 75% were British and Canadian, and 25% US.

redcoat said:
Personally I don't care that there was no British or any other Allied contingent shown in the movie.
But if you wanted to show that Brit's did take part you could have made the crew of the landing craft, Royal Navy. A number of the landing craft on the US beaches were manned by RN men ;)

ps,
The make up of the invasion fleet was as follows, 79% of the warships were British or Canadian, 16% US and 4% other Allies.
Of all the other craft approx 75% were British and Canadian, and 25% US.

I know that the UK and Canada made up a vast majority of the invasion fleet. And my Uncle was taken ashore by an RN landing craft. I could go on about the UK'S , Canada's, Austraila's, New Zealand's commitment and bravery in the war both the ETO and the PTO (where Aussie and Britsh vessels served along side US vessels in the same task forces also.) I know this because I wanted too and not because I relied on Hollywierd to provide by historical education.

The sticking point with me is this. The idea Hollywood should be used as an educational tool it's never gonna happen.

Gosh if the Brits are this irate over SPR; they must have been apoplectic over U571. That one even embarrassed me, and I missed most of its gaffs.

We had the plesure of the Irish reserves being extras in it and most of time spent in Ireland, Co. Wexford beaches.

blight45 said:
Gosh if the Brits are this irate over SPR; they must have been apoplectic over U571. That one even embarrassed me, and I missed most of its gaffs.

Maybe they recognized it for the hollywood fantasy and stinker that it was.

Rufus Excalibur said:
Such 'inaccuracy' does a great diservice to the effort of all concerned.
Finally - I think that games such as Medal of Honour on PS2 and so on although fantastic in their realism and gameplay profit from those horrendous days. Children and the youth of today do not see it as 'learning' about the horrors of war but shoot em up entertainment.

Spielberg should hang his head in shame

So should children be allowed to play Cowboys and Indians?

Not only do they play, with the world of the internet, you find out what the game was about, go to related sites, learn more of what happened, even if they only think once of the sacrifice everyone gave during WW2, then the memory of everyone lost will be remembered, and hopefully help us not make the same mistakes again.

The Brits have to make their own movies as well.
Anyone who seen A Bridge Too Far wouldn't question the UK's involvement in World War II, nor if they had seen the movie The Battle Of Britain.

dougal said:
We had the plesure of the Irish reserves being extras in it and most of time spent in Ireland, Co. Wexford beaches.

kinda worth it though to see bon jovi get annihilated by a hatch cover

Haha yeah, I was NOT expecting that to happen.

chewie_nz said:
dougal said:

kinda worth it though to see bon jovi get annihilated by a hatch cover

Slightly off topic. But if you wish to get a good picture of the invasion that is well rounded and overly flattering of no one. I'd suggest "Decision at Normandy." by D'Estes.

Unless of course you prefer movies as a source of education.

The Longest Day is an oldy but a goody.
I own the 50th anniversary edition, still in black and white. Wish I had the colour version aswell.
:cry:

Good save D_Plus_one. You kept millions of American school kids from growing up thinking the invasion took place in Alaska. :p

Charge_7 said:
Good save D_Plus_one. You kept millions of American school kids from growing up thinking the invasion took place in Alaska. :p

That Stung, it really stung :p

03USMC said:
Charge_7 said:

That Stung, it really stung :p
hahahahaha!

brilliant!

i was thinking the other day that alot of the older war movies (esp a bridge too far) would do well to be remade with the same sort of budget/effects that saving private ryan/band of brothers got

Saving Private Ryan is certainly a film to start discussions - even arguments!
Why is that? It should be regarded as a well made drama, ( which it is), but it fails to satisfy many - why is that?
Is it trying to be history? It certainly gives that impression, whatever Spielberg claims to the contrary. As has already been stated in this forum some of the US forces on D-Day were landed by RN personnel - some are still alive today. Spielberg, I believe, has claimed there were no Brits on Omaha. To my understanding some British personnel were landed on the beach.
I have read criticisms about factual irregularities in the film.
But, does it matter if this is simply Hollywood entertainment?
Well I don't think this film is intended simply as fictional drama.
It does lay claim to a factual foundation.
So - if Tom Hanks shouldn't be sheltering under fire on Omaha beach and wondering how the Brits are getting on, why does he discuss overall tactics with another US officer later in the film.
In the middle of his own small war he discusses the failed tactics of Montgomery.
I suspect this one short unnecessary part of the film is what gets some Brits going!
Whether Tom Hanks character liked it or not Monty wasn't just a foreign officer down the road.
By Allied agreement he was Overall Land Commander. In real terms he was in control of all land sea and air forces going into Normandy.
This only changed when Bradley assumed command of his own army and it ended when Eisenhower arrived to take command as Supreme Commander.
For all his faults, (and he had them), Monty was mostly right about Normandy. Any daring advance early on risked swift punishment from the enemy.
Penetration inland was important - capturing vital places was important.
But securing five beaches, joining them together, defending this 50 mile stretch of territory was more important.
Once this was done - and with movement inland - and with more resources being landed by sea than the Germans could supply for their army by road - then Overlord was almost certain to succeed. And with the passage of time success in Normandy was guaranteed - it was just a matter of time.
So let Private Ryan be what Spielberg claimed it was.
Personally I would rather he made a film about ordinary G.I.'s - the regular infantrymen. Being by turns bored, wet, hungry, scared and wanting to go home!

armchairal said:
It should be regarded as a well made drama, ( which it is), but it fails to satisfy many - why is that?
Is it trying to be history?

It is trying to be history as much as Shakespere's Henry V does.

It will be interesting to see how Spielberg and Clint Eastwood handle Flags of Our Fathers, which is currently being made.

FoOF's is the story of John Bradley, a corpsman who participated in the 2nd flag raising on top of Mt. Suribachi - he's one of the men in the famous photo.

The story of the battle for Iwo Jima had little to do with the flag raisings on Mt. Surbachi, and Bradley told his family almost nothing of his war experiences. And I fear those two things will be what the movie will be about - the silent hero (genuine) and a flag raising not really done immediately after the summitt had been taken.

My Uncle was a Major who landed at Omaha about 6 hours after the first wave (I'm out of WWII combat relatives), and I think he would have liked Ryan.

Back