Saving Private Ryan - Page 10

--

October 18th, 2005  
Springfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cooler King
Quote:
I have not found any thing that is false in that movie.
You could nit pick that they reversed "Flash" and "Thunder", the Tigers were T-34s, they landed at the wrong sector, yada yada yada. That stuff doesn't bother me though.
The Tigers were T-34s? I never knew that. I read or saw somewhere that the Tiger tank was actually a real Tiger tank, and not a prop or anything else.
October 18th, 2005  
Charge 7

That was no T-34 in the movie.
October 18th, 2005  
The Cooler King

It was a mock-up turret on the chassis of T-34. It was very convincing. Operational Tiger I's are extremely rare. That is why you never see "the real deal" in movies.

One thing that gave it away was when Capt. Miller takes his submachine gun a sprays the inside of the vehicle through the driver's viewport (rectangle opening on the front of the tank). A real Tiger had 6 layers of armored glass there making the Captian's actions impossible.
--
October 18th, 2005  
Charge 7

Okay, then it was a T-34 that no longer looked like one. Not the same thing as using a T-34 as is and saying it's a Tiger like they used M-47s in The Battle of the Bulge and just painted them field grey and put a German cross on them.
October 18th, 2005  
The Cooler King

The easiest way to tell the difference is in the tracks. The Tiger I has an overlapping wheel design. Were as the T-34 does not.

Tiger I

T-34
October 19th, 2005  
bigcanada813

well, you have to realize that your average movie goer wouldn't have realized that it was a T-34 with a different turret instead of a Tiger I. The way they did it was very convincing.
October 20th, 2005  
Chocobo_Blitzer

SPR is one of my favorite military movies. That last battle scene is somethin' amazing.
October 20th, 2005  
Doppleganger

There are loads of inaccuracies about SPR but it doesn't detract from the fact that it is a good movie.