SAS Operations in Northwest Europe 1944

Looking for any information on relatives and family members of WWII British, French or Belgian veterans who served in North-West Europe after DDAY, 6 June 1944 as part of the SAS Brigade's operations.

A new SAS website is now up but will go "live" in two weeks...

www.wingeddagger.info

Any help in providing links to surviving veterans or relatives would be great.

Regards,
Mick

Any SAS trooper caught by the Germans where shot on the orders of Hitler. The SAS were dropped behind enmey lines and would raid all over the place in there Jeeps armed with numerous machine guns. They would stay there until the front cuaght up with them or they killed

There is an excellent book "The Regiment." The true story of the SAS by Michael Asher.

It gives the story of the SAS right from the start in WW2 till today. Its a very good book, but a lot of the language used is typically "Trooper."

Its well worth a read and very informative.

Asher have been called an unreliable source by operators..
Not my words, but those of another twentytwo soldier.

There is a reason some members of the regiment aren´t welcome back to reunions...

Asher have been called an unreliable source by operators..
Not my words, but those of another twentytwo soldier.

There is a reason some members of the regiment aren´t welcome back to reunions...

As I have never been in the SAS I really cannot comment.

However, the book is quite informative with many original photographs, from the tiny amount of research I have done on the SAS and documentaries on TV I have watched, the operations listed in the book are quite accurate.

In the regiments I have been in, there were always disagreements, an amount of back stabbing and soldiers who dislike each other, so I would assume the SAS is no different.

Last edited:
Ofcourse there are stuff that is tue in the book or someone would have had it stopped.
And I am giving no personal verdict on Asher, just relaying what I was told.

Twentytwo operators are getting sick of all the books on being a cool guy, so maybe they are starting to judge all by the same standard.
I dunno, and it´s not my place to comment.
Just passing the word I got along..

Stay safe.
KJ.

Back