SAS naked and bound in training

ozmilman said:
Aw duuuuuude..... Mate, you need to read the article again, slowly, and soak it all up... Ah whatever.

Rich.

AUSTRALIAN soldiers are being blindfolded, stripped naked and menaced by savage dogs for up to three hours in extreme training exercises to prepare them to resist torture.

Did i miss something, or has noone touched on the fact that the SAS will never be captured. I'm an engineer, and our regiment is full of ex-grunts including ex 3RAR and 4RAR, and they've all said they'd never allow themselves to be captured. If everyday infantry would rather eat a bullet then face interrogation then i would assume the only way to take a Special Air Superman alive would be an elephant tranquiliser.

Stupid comments. By the way, which field squadron are you with?

For information, 2 cav C squadron recon captured SAS soldiers on ex in Innisfail. So don't tell me they are un-capturable.

Cadet Seaman said:
No point. Its not training, your letting your men be ravaged by dogs. A mans will power and resistence is determined by the man and he determines when to breakdown.

I assume that you've never tried RTI (resistance to interrogation) training yourself?? :)

Will power and resistance does certainly help, but you can (and do) train that as well during RTI training.
And I can assure you that it really works to train on these sorts of things..
I've done that myself on a few occasions, both with and without dogs, and (much) longer than 3 hours as well.
The first time I did RTI training was the "worst", but the training really helped the second/third etc. times.

And as Rndersafe said earlier in here:
"If the training is done properly, you don't know for certain if you will survive or not. It's the whole point of the training."

This is certainly true..
I wont comment on how this is done, but I've seen persons who were 99% to 100% (or more..) certain that their "last hour" had come during RTI training.
Especially if you haven't had any sleep or food for a few days before it starts...

Stupid comments. By the way, which field squadron are you with?

For information, 2 cav C squadron recon captured SAS soldiers on ex in Innisfail. So don't tell me they are un-capturable.

Oh yeah because diggers would rather commit suicide then be captured on a training exercise, did you even read my post mate? Your HAVE to be an officer.

Oh yeah because diggers would rather commit suicide then be captured on a training exercise, did you even read my post mate? Your HAVE to be an officer.

I read your post.
You said the SAS "will never be captured".
Definitive comment. You can't say they will never be captured. It's like saying the Japanese can't fight at night because they wear glasses, WW2 proved that wrong. WW1 will be over by Christmas, that was wrong. You can't say something that you cannot back up like that. They might do everything they can to avoid it, I don't deny that, and without a doubt any other Digger would do the same, but they are still human. They can still be captured.

Your HAVE to be an officer

So what's your point. In the same sense you HAVE to be an OR? What are you trying to say?

Jesus mate, i was talking about them killing themselves rather then risk capture, NOT that they were too good to be captured. SUICIDE was my point, and i know a lot of diggers who would take it over capture in alot of circumstances.

there are a lot of kiwis here
anyway im new here and i just wan to say hi to my fellow brits,especially the servicemen who most probably are the best in the world

the 1st batallion of the paras are not turning to spec ops it is the pathfinder batallion

Cadet Seaman said:
ozmilman said:
Aw duuuuuude..... Mate, you need to read the article again, slowly, and soak it all up... Ah whatever.

Rich.

AUSTRALIAN soldiers are being blindfolded, stripped naked and menaced by savage dogs for up to three hours in extreme training exercises to prepare them to resist torture.

Cadet Seaman said:
No point. Its not training, your letting your men be ravaged by dogs. A mans will power and resistence is determined by the man and he determines when to breakdown.

Sometimes it is best to think before you type. You apparently read but did not comprehend what was stated.

On another note:

Everyone. . . and I do mean everyone has a breaking point, for some the point is more than others. There will come a time when you will give up information. It is what information you choose to give up that matters.

EDIT: Yes I have been through some interrogation training. No it was not physical, it was in a classroom, but I think my point still stands.

Dont know where the 3 hours comes from,its more like 48-72, just cause they cant kill you dont mean it wont f<>?(*k a person over. It is quite an eye opener how you end up and they cant even flogg you.

Wow the word SAS starts debates and sells papers..
The sad part is that everyone here are biting on it..

I read that article and it looks like a rather generic RTI ex..
And yes they can and will mess you up.
As long as they leave no bruises that are visable when you are allowed off base.

Dont know where the 3 hours comes from,its more like 48-72, just cause they cant kill you dont mean it wont f<>?(*k a person over. It is quite an eye opener how you end up and they cant even flogg you.

Well said ! Like any military exercise it is dangerous, risky and something can go wrong. So knowing it's only an exercise and your own side won't kill you, the intensitiy of the "Conduct under Capture" and the techniques used can instill fear and do exactly what NECK said. I've dealt with people who've cracked under training. And the training is needed because it does build up resiliance to future potential real dangers and torture to extract information.

Interesting post! How many members who have replied to this thread are actually members/former members of the SAS?

I'm a Brit and a former member of the British SBS (Combined SAS/SBS selection). Things must have changed dramatically since I left the service because I can't remember being hit, punched, slapped, or anything like that when I did my RTI course! Yes there are dogs and they do bark; however, they are there purely to instill some realism in to the training, and not there to rip your limbs from your body.

The whole thought process around RTI is to not physically harm you, but to train you in know techniques used by our enemies and to see how you react and deal with those situations when placed in them. There is another important part to this training which has been missed out. It's called combat survival and this is the exercise which is used to cause sleep deprivation and physical exhaustion prior to the RTI training.

I think everyone in there right mind knows that they're not going to kill you - However, people do fail this course...most of them not for the reasons you would imagine, but because of the way they reacted to the situations they were placed in.

Yes, the training is hard and I have crossed trained with the Aussie SAS, but at the end of the day it is exactly what it says on the tin....training!

I'm always amazed

how some people think they can explain the benefits of forcing our western ways of living, our priciples of democracy and human rights, on other societies if we dont give a **** about them,

Back